Firesteel

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
I have recently bought a firesteel to use with flint, (not the firestick) and have managed to light charcloth and amadou but the amount of sparks doesn't exactly impress me. My question is, does the amount of sparks differ from steel to steel or in my case, do I have a bad technique?

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
you are probably doing everything right!

they don't shower as many sparks, as do the the firesticks.

do you strike on the white part of the flint or the darker inner part?

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Hi: Could be the flint or it could be the steel. In either case, don't expect an enormous shower of sparks. Just one spark on the charcloth is enough. If you aren't satisfied with the sparking quality, try a different flint or steel. You might also try your flint on an old file and see what happens. The file steel is super hard and should produce a good quantity of sparks.....Keep at it,
Bruce

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
I am striking the dark parts of the flint so I know I'm doing that part correctly. I was just wondering if some steels produce more sparks that others. What's your experience?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The edges of the flint need to be sharp, and angled right to machine bits off the steel. Think of the angle of a lathe tool, kind of flat topped, and undercut by 45-60 degrees (very roughly :p ) Some sources of steel are better than others. Files are very hard, but better yet they tend to be high in carbon and low in allow content. Fire steels made from spring steel don't seem to work quite as well, and there is some possibility that higher alloy content (tool and bearing steels) don't work as well either.

There is some technique to it, but if you have been practicing a bit you probably have enough technique to get it to work.

If you can get an old file with one edge free of teeth you can test the flint. Not sure how you would test the steel though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE