Firesteel recommendations/make your own questions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesk

Mar 21, 2011
Reigate
I seem to have just missed a group buy at www.GoingGear.com who seem to be a popular choice amongst forum members. Unfortunately I can't justify paying $30 for postage on a couple of items costing about $8 or $10 in total.

Can anyone recommend some good firesteels available in this country which aren't prohibitively expensive, but do almost as good a job as the ones available from Going Gear?

I am new to this forum so may have missed some advice on this elsewhere but I did do a search :)

I am actually quite keen to attempt putting my own handle on a firesteel blank, but I have no idea how to go about this (having made the handle, do you glue it on?)! If anyone has any advice on this then that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

James

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
The Goinggear ones are mischmetal, and give big hot sparks and globs of metal, and I have found it difficult to control the direction they go in as it requires an effort to get them to spark. The ones I prefer are either the Woodlore ones, blanks at £7 or pre-handled at £10 with free shipping, or the Light My Fire ones. These are softer, give a good shower of sparks and are easy to control. Saying that, two of the Goinggear badger firesteels cost around $6 for shipping to the UK using the cheapest option on their shipping estimator, and I think there is a discount in the dealers section for the site of around 10%

jamesk

Mar 21, 2011
Reigate
I couldn't get the shipping price so cheap! It gave me a minimum of $30. I'll try again!

Any other recommendations?

James

jamesk

Mar 21, 2011
Reigate
I appear to have got their shipping estimator working now. I'd still be interested to hear from anyone else on other recommendations, and would like to thank kard133 for the recommendation so far :).

Thanks,

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE