Firesteel,point or other end?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Between forays into the woods with the dogs I have been rewatching RM's DVDs.
It's tough being retired.

In the latest (series 3) he advocates using the back of the blade near the point.

In series 1&2 he uses mostly the blunt end and random parts.

Any idea why the change?

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Looks like he started out using the back of the blade as most people do early on, but then moved to the tip later.

The tip of a lot of knives is often a harder steel (it has been smithed differently to give extra strength - you'll have to ask one of the knife people for more info :D ) and so this will often result in a better spark from a firesteel as it will scrape away better.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
If you have an enclosed tinder space that you want to put sparks into the tip of the blade can get in there without bashing into the tinder alot better than trying to use the centre of the spine.

leon-1

To be honest I think that it depends on the situation, if you are drawing the steel across the spine I find it easier to use closer to the handle of the knife, there is a lot more control of, knife steel and spark.

However if I am striking spine of the knife against the steel I find that using the area around the tip gives me more leverage (bigger spark) and once again more control of the spark itself. The spark can also be generated very quickly and given the extra leverage you get a lot of big sparks in a short space of time, this would mean a higher concentration of heat in a shorter space of time, ergo, the chances of your tinder catching is greater :D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I reckon it probably has more to do with the tinder space than the differential hardened blade theory. The Woodlore knife is not zone hardened, its the same all through.

If you learn to use the tip of your knife it lets you round off the corners near the handle so they are kinder to your thumb if you place it on the spine during cutting. That way you avoid getting "tram marks" on your thumb :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE