fire pump/piston--how do i work it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 2, 2007
Hi Ladies and Gents Er--------

I purchased a well made fire pump kit from Outdoor code about a week ago, thing is that it never came with any instructions! After lots of attempts (and bluffing it) out of some 30 attempts, I managed to get the tinder alight just twice! not bad as I have no idea what I am doing or supposed to do with it. Would love to know how to use it properly-- any ideas? before I wear the thing out?

Tony

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Sympathies I have only tried one once and that was a dismal failure too (not sure of its origins). A lot of people seem to make them work and like them though!

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
I assume that you got a good working one so the only guidance I can give you is to use a very fast movement. I hold the tube in one hand, put the piston rod a few millimeters in the tube and then slam the piston rod in and pull it out very quickly with my other hand. The slamming and pulling is one integrated movement and has to be done quick. If you are too slow with retracting the piston rod your ember will use up all the oxygen inside the tube and die.

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE