Fire Dragon Fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
@billycoen Yes, they are supposed to be able to raise the temperature of 300ml of water by 40 degrees C.

There is also an Esbit version of the ration heater kit, which claims roughly same ability.

Reactions: billycoen

barrs

Oct 5, 2023
NE Scotland
Yeah, going by there data sheet, the 7g blocks are meant to heat 300ml to 55c in around 3 minutes, with the blocks having a burn-time of 5 minutes.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I've never got particularly good results with the 7g. I can't be sure I've ever actually seen the 14g version in person.

The 7g foil containers aren't as robust as the larger plastic packaging so they are better packed in something solid.

Nerd trivia.

The BCB 2022 "technical white paper" lists an 18g/0.5oz block, the image associated with it is an edited 27g one however and I think it's a typo. There are 14g/18g blocks shown in test images at the end of the report. But I can't see the label that well, the Polish test data says 14g. And 28g gets mention in an advert. Using it as hand sanitizer is still in the documents.

The pdf is on BCB's site.

My guess is that the 14g was not picked up by the MOD & NATO as the 27g is better for cold conditions and logistically simpler to stick to the big 'un.

By the looks if it 14g might be orderable in large quantities only.

I really should write a fire dragon fanfic. ;)

"Fire Dragon was torn between the rugged good looks of the Crusader Mk1 cooking system. And yet she could not deny the youthful charm of the MK2....."

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Believe the Esbit blocks in the Esbit BCB ration heater kits were/are 14g.

So maybe that's where the sizes initially came from, but BCB never had a reason to put Dragon Fuel blocks into production.

Reactions: Ozmundo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE