Finishing a yew longbow ! , advice please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lone Bonobo

May 6, 2005
Buckinghamshire
Just need some advise on finishing a bow, at the moment i'm sanding out any tool marks and i'm just wondering what the best way to finish the bow, varnish? oil?
I want to bring out the beautiful grain of the yew and also protect the wood.

Also thinking about adding a leather grip and arrow rest, any advice would be greatly apprieciate.:rolleyes:

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Truoil is a good durable finish, it's a gunstock finish and will bring out the grain but it's a bit glossy for my taste.
My preference is for a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and turpentine (not turps sub). Give it a generous rubbing with an oil soaked rag and set aside. Repeat every day for 10 days and then leave it fir a week to dry. Then give it a coat of beeswax.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Hunt around for an old fashioned hardware store.
If you can't find one near you check online. I think Axminster.co.uk do it.
If you really can't find any we sell it at work, I can get you some and post it off to you (might be expensive as ours comes in a glass bottle).

Lone Bonobo

May 6, 2005
Buckinghamshire
Thanks, i think i know a place that might do it.
I've read about burnishing the sapwood on the back of the bow with a smooth stone or glass bottle, Is this something you have tried?

I'm already thinking of making my next bow, think i'm hooked!:rolleyes:

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks, i think i know a place that might do it.
I've read about burnishing the sapwood on the back of the bow with a smooth stone or glass bottle, Is this something you have tried?

I'm already thinking of making my next bow, think i'm hooked!:rolleyes:

I usually burnish my bows with a polished antler tine but a glass bottle works just as well. I'm not sure it's going to make a huge difference in stopping the bow lifting a splinter, but every little helps:) . Some people think the compression of the fibers inhibits oil penetration, so I usually burnish after I've oiled the bow, before I apply the beeswax.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE