Finished a Restoration on a Lee Enfield No 4 Mark 1/2 and took it to the range

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
I hope its ok to post a gun video especially since this old rifle was built in 1944 and protected us all from WW2.

I have a bunch of videos on this thing as I got it then rebuilt it. Anyway it was a mark 1 and post ww2 it was updated to Mk2 then turned into a sporter.

I finally got my project out for a shoot. It was a long road but worth it. I thought people on this board would appreciate it.

[video=youtube_share;uK6jG40QYSY]http://youtu.be/uK6jG40QYSY[/video]

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Great film, thanks for sharing it. I see so many hacked up 303 sporters for sale in NZ, so it's great to see someone somewhere reversing the damage. Good work!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great video - I just picked up a full set of foresight elements for my project gun :)

Do you cover rearsight fitting (particularly the plunger and spring) in any of your videos?

Red

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
My rear sights were fine although I would llike to switch out the pressed Mk11 sights for the Springer sights at some point.

I saw half a dozen full wood Enfields this weekend at a gun show and talked to a young guy rebuilding one so there are still some out there. I saw 2 No 1 Mark 3's that I wished I could of brough home as well.

They are fine gun with a noble past.

Thanks for the kind words.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I regret not buying a crossbow that had been made from a SMLE. Weird looking thing but with the weight and the power of the prod it worked very well.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I see so many hacked up 303 sporters for sale in NZ, so it's great to see someone somewhere reversing the damage. Good work!

Yes, same here and probably everywhere with the 'sporterized' Enfields. Thanks for the video, I once had a couple Enfields myself, and like many people here had one as a first centrefire rifle. Untold bears, moose and deer and everything in between saw the business end of these great rifles.

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
Yeah far too many were chopped up and thrown out :( Today its even hard to get old stripper clips. 15 years ago the guy running the surplus store sent a few hundred pounds of Lee enfield magazines to the dump and now they fetch 40-75 dollars. Imagine finding 500 of these in a basement.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can find a dozen or more of them in my gun room :) Cost me £4 each when someone was selling them off cheap so I bough a bag full ;)

Wish I had more stripper clips though - only got about twenty :(

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I remember firing these as a kid in the air training corps. I can tell you it gives a bit of a kick when your only 14 years old. As an ex RAF Armourer I'd love a go on one of these again. I serviced loads of the number 8 rifle that's now used by the ATC the number 8 is the .22 flavour

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
I remember firing these as a kid in the air training corps. I can tell you it gives a bit of a kick when your only 14 years old. As an ex RAF Armourer I'd love a go on one of these again. I serviced loads of the number 8 rifle that's now used by the ATC the number 8 is the .22 flavour

I remember the 303 Lee Enfield from ATC too. We drilled with decommissioned ones and got to fire live ones at Uxbridge & Purfleet. As a 13 year old we got the massive bruises on the collar bone from these massive things but seeing one recently I can't believe how small they look now. What I thought was a jungle carbine was a standard full size.

We were told tall (or maybe not) stories about how people had been shot from 2 miles away and about how someone had got hit on a channel ferry 3 miles from the range; how they were more accurate than the 'rubbish' then current (cut-price?) FNs I suspect that might have been the WWII veterans preferring what they knew best. I still remember the rotten eggs smell of cordite, having to swear an oath that we hadn't pinched the used cartridges (penny-pinching RAF!) and fighting over the used ammunition cases.

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
I just shot this out to 300 on the battle sights. The flip up sights at 500 need work albeit there was a good wind I go one out of a group of 5.

[video=youtube_share;_PSVPSJETGU]http://youtu.be/_PSVPSJETGU[/video]

I just got 10 stripper clips and a bandolier so I think I will need to find an excuse to shoot 25 through this baby rapid fire.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You only get 60 seconds to get those 25 on target DKB (known as the mad minute) - but you have the wrong finger on the trigger to achieve that - try keeping thumb and index finger on the bolt (never let go) and pull the trigger with your middle finger - it really speeds up shooting the Enfield

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
And get rid of the bag to support it :rolleyes:, that's what the left arm was made for...Unless you have lost the use of the left arm that is.

I fired my first five and last through one of these at RAF Rudloe Manor, strangely enough with the Air Cadets... Went on to the SLR and then the L98 A1.

The good old declaration is still a valid one...

"I have no live rounds, miss fires or empty cases in my possession, Sir"

I have it in my Aide memoire from when I was the Range Conducting Officer...:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE