Finding Fatwood in the bush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Because of it's great flamibility and it's ability to be easily ignited under wet and rainy conditions and even after being submerged under water for hours even days.

PICT0170.jpg

PICT0174.jpg

PICT0175.jpg

fatwood is a great resource and being able to recognise it in the bush can make things a lot easier on wet days. If you get enough of it going it will continue to burn in the lighter rains. I went up onto the Suckreek Mountain section of Walden’s Ridge to do some hiking and photography and some peace and quiet. While I was out hiking I collected some fatwood stumps, I gathered three different ones to show how the look of it can vary in the wilderness. Fatwood as I know it comes from pine tree stumps, where the sap has settled in the lower sections and maybe gone through some type of fermentation process. You will see if you look at the forest floor and the other trees around, that while these are pine tree stumps I am collecting, I am in a forest that is predominantly hardwood with only about five to ten percent pine trees (getting fewer by the year thanks to the southern pine beetle.

This is the first stump I found and used to start my fire that night. The part sticking up that is circled in green is what I am pulling out of the ground.
PICT0385circled.jpg

and this is what it looks like when you pull it out.
PICT0388.jpg

If it is a fatwood stump you will know because it will be much heavier and less fragile than you’d think for such a rotten piece of wood. Beat it on a rock, a fallen log or another tree to remove the unneeded rot, dirt, and debris it will be easier to carry back to camp this way.
PICT0388-1.jpg

When you cut into it you will see rich red and gold colors and it will be very glossy and shiny.
PICT0392.jpg

PICT0393.jpg

I find it best to slice it into thin sheets (here you can see how glossy it is)…..
PICT0394.jpg

PICT0395.jpg

then slice the sheets into smaller slivers. Thin edges are best for lighting.
PICT0396.jpg

This lit easily using a swedish fire steel
PICT0404.jpg

PICT0405.jpg

PICT0406.jpg

Here are two more examples of what fatwood can look like when you find it in the woods they are in the green rectangles.
PICT0451.jpg

and this is it from a little more distance
PICT0452.jpg

this one shows what gives it away, how the outer tree has deteriorated away and left the symmetrical lines of the grain of the limbs showing.
PICT0450.jpg

and these show that stump out of the ground, you can see how much was still underground in this one.
PICT0453.jpg

PICT0456.jpg

and this one shows both stumps and how much weight was knocked off of the big one when beating it against a log
PICT0465.jpg

Here is another example, and yet again the limited deterioration gives it away, and you can see the symmetrical lines of the grain on the limbs.
PICT0458.jpg

PICT0461.jpg

PICT0460.jpg

However in this one the “fat” part of the wood isn’t so far under the ground.
PICT0464.jpg

This is probably a younger tree and may not be as rich, but that is not always the case because some of the richest stumps I’ve ever found were just about a foot tall above the ground and looked just like a shorter version of this but there was more underground so we shall see.

Today I processed part of the fatwood I collected last weekend, I think I did pretty good.

In these shots you see the rot and debris that is on it when you pull it out of the ground and my method for removing it is to throw it against a hard object like a big rock, a log, or just the ground because all it will do if you don't get rid of it is fly up and hit you in the face as you chop it and also dull your hatchet.
PICT0490.jpg

PICT0493.jpg

Then you take a hatchet or axe and start splitting it like kindling.
PICT0497.jpg

PICT0515.jpg

and you will see the rich glossy colors inside and smell that terpintine smell
PICT0499.jpg

You can easily light it with a flame, and it will put off a lot of black smoke you do not want to inhale.
PICT0504.jpg

PICT0506.jpg

And actually the one piece I expected to have the least fatwood had a lot and it was the richest of all, perhaps a much larger tree than I originally thought. The hint is this deep almost ruby red section peeking out at me after beating the rotten part off of it.
PICT0496.jpg

there is even a good bit of it in the upper section, not as dark but smells just as strong.
PICT0512.jpg

PICT0513.jpg

And this is what I ended up with
PICT0511.jpg

PICT0517.jpg

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Thanks, I was hoping it would be of some use over there. I didn't know if you all had it over there or not lol, but was hoping you had pine trees. I know they have pine trees in other countries besides here as the fatwood Wal-Mart sells comes from Honduras

Still a worthy post though! Im sure there will be others who dont know about the properties
of differing woods so its always usefull to pass on again :)

Andy >>>>>-------------------------------<>

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Mistwalker.

That's a fantastic post! I was walking some woodland just last saturday when I passed some fallen pines. I asked myself at the time "Iwonder what a fatwood stump looks like?"
Now I know, and I know where there are some!
Thanks my friend.

Dave

Thank you all, it was late and I can't remember if I put this in the first post or not but it puts off a bit of acrid black smoke you really don't want to inhale and you don't want to cook meats, or marshmallows and such directly over it, you could probably boil things in a pot over it but I'd not want to use a pot with an overhanging lid. However if you get a few large stumps of it burning at one time it can make a great signal fire even in a lighter rain and it puts off a good bit of heat.

BTW, I have no idea what cofer is, sorry.

good post Nightwalker i'll have a look for some now i know what to look for:)

Bernie

Glad it is of some use to you all, it comes in handy for me a lot here as I live in a deciduous temporate rain forest where in the Autumn (my favorite season) and Spring it rains often and is foggy and misty often as well...., and nightwalker is a cool name also I suppose.., I know there are definitely times that it applies..., lol, at least you didn't call me a streetwalker :)

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Guys
Mature dead Scot's Pine works well over here, one tree made enough to last for ages so ive not tried other conifers yet. Ta Ed

It does last a good while if you just use it to light camp fires under dry or damp conditions. I still have most of this stump left.

PICT0223.jpg

PICT0226.jpg

But..., I have given my brother two times this much in a year to use to light wet wood in his fireplace when he comes home on the weekends...., but the fireplace I designed in his house is a rather large one...., his favorite thing about the project...., well that and the bar I built him lol.
Glennandhisfireplace.jpg

Glennsbar-2.jpg

Glennsbar-1.jpg

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Mistwalker,

I was reading your post and wondering why I had never noticed the fat wood in stumps before....I've removed lots of stumps up North. I guess the colors didn't catch my eye previously, but as soon as you said "smell that terpintine smell" I knew EXACTLY what kind of stumps you are talking about....I can't wait to go to the bush again and find some of this.

D

Mistwalker,

I was reading your post and wondering why I had never noticed the fat wood in stumps before....I've removed lots of stumps up North. I guess the colors didn't catch my eye previously, but as soon as you said "smell that terpintine smell" I knew EXACTLY what kind of stumps you are talking about....I can't wait to go to the bush again and find some of this.

D

I'm glad it was of interest to you. I know that a lot of people don't know about it or how to find it. During my commercial fishing days I have seen men struggling unsuccessfuly to light their breakfast fires after nights of hard rains using gas and oil from their boats while the entire time there were whole stumps of fatwood in plain sight of their camps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE