Finding a suitable spot at night

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lachat

Mar 6, 2024
Europe
What is the best way to find a good spot for the night in a bivy. Planing to use my bivy soon but, wont be arriving till very very late. Any suggestions or tips.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Go scout out the area you want to pitch up a few days prior to your camping trip to get a lay of the land etc.

Otherwise get a bright torch.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
All you need is two meters of flat ground but take time to check out as best you can: a simple route/location for your hygiene. Finding that the daylight traffic on the A5 has a clear view of your chosen bush can be awkward.

Why the A5? Dunno it just came to mind!

You should always ask permission as stated so often on this forum but I am also well practiced in apology which I find less time consuming.

• Haha
Reactions: Ozmundo and Billy-o

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Its a bit like asking "what is the best way to choose a supermarket to shop at". @lachat, you talk about long distance driving to Spain, wild camping, CQC and survival. Is this use of a bivvy initially going to be recreational, somewhere in wilder country, or are you looking at how to sleep near your vehicle on a road trip? It makes a big difference in what people might advise when choosing a spot. More remote spots will generally be safer of course, so things like damp ground, cold sinks, animal trails and a nice view might rise up the list above security, concealment, escape routes, or checking the ground for needles.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I once camped in a popular place off a well-used trail. I spotted a good bit of level ground and wondered why no-one else had bagged it, as there were one or two folk bivvied on sloping ground. As I started to lay my kit out I found out why: a colony of ants had taken up residence right in the middle of it. I found another spot, but in the morning woke up to see a late arrival had placed his bivvy on the ants' nest in the dark. He was still there, apparently asleep, when I left in the morning. As I walked on, I spent a few moments wondering how much sleep he had that night.

lachat

Mar 6, 2024
Europe
Its a bit like asking "what is the best way to choose a supermarket to shop at". @lachat, you talk about long distance driving to Spain, wild camping, CQC and survival. Is this use of a bivvy initially going to be recreational, somewhere in wilder country, or are you looking at how to sleep near your vehicle on a road trip? It makes a big difference in what people might advise when choosing a spot. More remote spots will generally be safer of course, so things like damp ground, cold sinks, animal trails and a nice view might rise up the list above security, concealment, escape routes, or checking the ground for needles.
It would be by the airport first with a Ryainair size bag no knives, axes and the minimum kit. In the UK climate. Bivy, tarp, travel blenket ground sheet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE