Finally got a 4x4...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Well after all my enquiries about 4x4s recently, I have been scanning the Autotrader sites for a cheapo stopgap til I get myself a Freelander.

Today I found this and bought it:

http://stock.autorespond.co.uk/cheshamtradecentrecar.aspx?sItem=1&sType=Car&sCarID=881818&sPageNo=3&sPageMax=10&sFormat=VehiclePictures

It's a '91 Daihatsu Sportrak with 75k on the clock, which matches all the ole MOTs etc. It drives perfectly, and is much better condition than the pictures make out, especially the wheels and tyres. 4 owners from new, and it appears that it has been looked after pretty well, and the part time 4wd doesn't appear to have been used on the road-or at least not enough to have done any damage.
These things are quite sprightly-much quicker than a Vitara and from what I have experienced in the past, they roll a lot less too! They have 3 way electrically adjustable suspension (firmness) which actually does appear to do something and it feels quite firm on the road. Not as firm as my MX5, but a lot better than I was expecting. Apparently, with a K&N pod filter they'll do 0-60 in about 11.5 secs and top at about 100mph, which is not bad for what it is. Economy is a bit better than my MX5 (!!!) but then, I do thrash that one... :D
Front seat accomodation is good for a 6'2" lanky streak of ****, but i wouldn't want to go far in the split folding rear seats! Luckily, they are easy to remove all together, so out they'll come to increase the cargo hold. I don't think there is much room though to stretch out and sleep, like you can in estate cars, but I have managed to sleep a few nights in my MX5 when travelling so anything is possible. Just.. The roof above the drivers area comes off with a couple of clips and the rear section unbolts and comes off too, if you have somewhere to leave it...
Inside is an exercise in 80's japanese car design, complete with (what's the point) inclinometer, elec windows, mirrors, central locking, PAS, adjustable wheel etc etc and a genuine Daihatsu roof rack.

All in all, bloody good value for money---at just £895!!

For that money I could just crash it somewhere and buy a new one. But i won't... I quite like it!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Well done Big specks.........Looks like a bargain to me, you'll have fun driving it around, though you will have to learn how to drive it, by that I do not mean you are a bad driver or anything, its just 4x4s are a totally different drive to say an mx5. You will find it to be really slow and handles corners like a double decker, but saying that, you will get used to it and love all the advantages of 4x4's.
Good luck with it.................Jon

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Yeah, I know-it's cetainly different, but this ones not as bad as most of it's era. Didn't appear to roll much around bends, unlike the Vitaras I have driven. Up to 50 it's quit sprightly, but over that, I should get out and push... Still, I have had a 1947 Lanchester, and a 1947 Minx, and it drives better than them! ;)

Can't wait to get it in the dirt...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Green lanes are a good place to start. I think you can view all the locations of them on the web somewhere. Some are great fun and even challanging in places, so you could get an idea of the cars capabilities..............Jon

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Spacemonkey,
Welcome to the club mate - for £895 you got a real gem there. And, when you do get it in the dirt, you'll have the biggest grin imaginable.
Just remember that high revs and flying mud don't equate to good off road driving.

Have fun this winter

Ogri the trog

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Ogri the trog said:
Spacemonkey,
Welcome to the club mate - for £895 you got a real gem there. And, when you do get it in the dirt, you'll have the biggest grin imaginable.
Just remember that high revs and flying mud don't equate to good off road driving.

Have fun this winter

Ogri the trog

This is true, but it will make you smile more when you see the state of the car behind you, especially if you have some big chunky muddies on.......Jon

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Good buy Spacemonks, seems a bargain. I drove one a few years ago (god was it really 15 years) and i was scared at the amount of lean i could get in it. Hope you have lots of fun in it mate

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Cheers guys!
It's mainly for use in The Big Freeze (TM BBC Weather) that's supposedly due this January when I'll have to chug around the Cotswolds plying my evil trade. Part time 4wd will be fine for that as I only ned it when it is slippery. Then as the weather improves it's green lane time!! That is, if the Ramblers haven't got it totally banned by then...

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Well, I have had a little play this weekend...
Have been through a gravel stream with steep entry and exits, and have managed to climb out of a couple of dipped car parks in the New Forest (and straight back down again before anyone moans) and it seems to cope remarkably well with slopes I thought would be too sttep. And all this on worn out Goodyear Eagle GA road tyres!

Must get some ATs fitted soon, but I am having a pig of a job finding BFG or Colway ATs in 225 70R 15s. Anyone point me in the right direction of proper tyres for it?

Handled the New Forest's only legal green lane ok earlier too.. :) The cart springs are a tad flat and rusty so I can't give it too much stick till i change them and top up the diff oil and gearbox oil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE