Festive Days:Gawai In Borneo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
(I am not sure whether this should be in Lovely Grub or Out and About so Mods please decide)

Went to visit a longhouse to wish them a Happy Gawai (Harvest festival). I went before the actual festivities so stayed on to get in the way of some of the preparation.

When I arrived they were down the river bank cooking rice in Bamboo.

DSCN3690.jpg

[Rice cooking]

Now you would think that this is straightforward but, as usual, there are subtleties that escape casual observation and which are not mentioned in Lofty Wiseman’s SAS Survival Guide (as far as I can recall). I have used both the water and rice in the same bamboo section method and the water in the lower section and rice/food in upper section method with mixed results – the food is usually cooked but the rice is either underdone or burnt.

This is representative of my usual efforts
2006Course19-2-20067-28-26PM.jpg

This old lady kindly showed me how. (Tip: start with the older women and men if you want to learn anything. If you talk to the young men they just want to practice their English and learn about the West from you)

DSCN3696.jpg
Loading Rice tubes

Mix rice and water in a container. Fill bamboo to about ½ to 2/3rd with water. Gently scoop up rice and water and let it slide down the bamboo. Do not tamp or compress the rice. Push gently with a finger if it is stuck or roll the tube between your hands till it slides down. Do not knock the bottom of the tube on the ground to make the rice drop down. Fill the tube till you can feel the rice reach about a fingers length from the rim. Bamboo must be full of water to the rim. Plug with wild banana or other suitable leaves. Place over fire.

Then duck down to the river, to do what foreigners do, to sneak a peek at a native woman bathing

DSCN3691.jpg

The reason not to compress the rice is that it is a very effective plug as it is sticky and the pressure can build up dramatically. One of two things happen. A rice round is fired from the mortar or the tube blows up or splits with the possible risk of bamboo splinter shrapnel if you are close by.

Elsewhere these cow hooves were being roasted prior to being made into a stew. The hooves are being removed. Nothing but the actual hard part of the hoof is being discarded.
DSCN3714hooves.jpg

While waiting for dinner, I found the band tuning their gongs.

DSCN3704.jpg

Children are part of everything and stay up late as the festivities progress. The kids are absolutely great. Always well mannered, playful and caring of each other they are not repressed and seldom scolded let alone smacked. A psychologist counsellor friend on a trip into the interior noted that we did not once hear a crying child. That is not always the case though and this little chap didn’t look happy at the sight of me (and who could blame him!!)
zainabkimmyamoianaalus.jpg

We later sat down to a meal. This is how bamboo rice should look like.

DSCN3735.jpg

The courses included
Chicken guts and unlaid eggs (Subtle flavours, not bad and not chewy)
chickengutsandunlaideggs.jpg

Hoof stew (gelatinous and a tasty broth) No pics.

Beef tendons and veins (yummy and delicious - would appeal to those who like roasts or bacon)

DSCN3710URAT_veinsandtendons.jpg

Fermented fish (reminiscent of blue cheese or Stilton)

DSCN3709fermentedfish.jpg

After dinner the ladies left and the gentlemen passed the tuak (rice wine) around (and around and around) till we couldn’t remember what we, or anyone else, were saying

Like New Year, Gawai is celebrated by waiting till midnight on 1 June when a midnight feast is served. Now I usually face meals of monkey head, ant egg soup, snake, pig lungs, mouse deer and the like (shown elsewhere on this site) and tonight’s earlier dinner was no exception. I also face the problem of what presents to bring and it is often a dilemma as I refuse to bring cigarettes, lollies, sweet cakes or any kind of modern junk food.

This time I had a solution. I brought Australian rack of lamb (which I proudly announced as “kambing Australia” – Australian goat - ) and duck so Gawai was ushered in with these exotic additions. They indulged me and were too polite to say what they thought of the roast lamb and duck but I do think they enjoyed the novelty. These modern Dayak girls visiting their granny seemed to like it.

DSCN3736.jpg

After the dinner the tuak was passed around again. I retired about 2.30 in the morning
The festivities continued till dawn

The next morning saw many casualties on the ruai (verandah) and unusually I woke up before most of the younger men. I had long chats with the older men about harvests, parang blade design and British helicopter pilots who land mistakenly in padi fields thinking it is an LP (and, now that this service has been privatized, whose company does not pay compensation).

Later on returning family members started to arrive and a bedara ceremony was held and I was roped in as a celebrant. I have done these before; at a new longhouse naming ceremony (rare nowadays - with Japanese heads or at least that’s what they said) and at weddings but this was my first bedara at a Harvest Festival.

Basically, it is about appeasing spirits (human and, possibly, supernatural others). The celebrants prepare plates of food and necessities for the spirits and these are placed near the roof or rafters (where the heads used to be kept). There is also a sacrifice of a chicken and the family members are anointed with blood which as had feathers dipped in it.
DSCN3766-1.jpg

This is repeated for every bilek or household in the longhouse and it is tiring work. Each celebrant prepares a dish with the ingredients in 5s, 7s, 8s or 9s. These ingredients are pinang nut (betel) sections, betel leaves (torn into ports), a paste, serdeh leaves, cooked rice (try dividing a handful or rice into 7 sections!), pulut (sticky rice – no problem), little rice bundles in leaves, cakes in leaves, a kind of cookie. Tobacco, leaves for rolling cigarettes, salt, puffed rice(like pop corn), egg sections surmounted with a whole egg and sprinkled with tuak. Basically everything for a spirit’s spiritual needs - staples, salt, protein, fertility, cakes, narcotics and some fags (cigarettes to American members). This is where you get the ingredients

DSCN3742.jpg

This is completed plate. I wasn’t being messy. Some puffed rice is spread around for those spirits that can’t wait.

DSCN3751.jpg

We cut some items like the eggs with these knives. The handle is monkey femur. The monkey was blow piped down from the tree apparently according to the blacksmith.

DSCN3759-1.jpg

An interesting difference in the ceremony was the “altar wine”. A bowl of tuak is brought around by a celebrant and you sip it just like at communion. But a rod with brass bells and sea shells is dipped in it and jiggled as you drink and your face gets splashed which is why my eyes are shut. Everyone laughs. The whole ceremony a few hours so a sense of humour is necessary. It is all taken in good fun.

DSCN3781.jpg

BOD

Unlaid eggs are the eggs in the chicken that have not been laid yet.

Not having a farm background I did not realise that it is like a taxi rank in there. the unlaid egg is mainly yolk with a thin white covering and no shell. There were 2 unlaid eggs in there.

Tastes like yolk.

Glad you liked it. I wasn't sure that it was everyone's cup for tea and after posting was concerned that my flippant reference to native women bathing was taken literally. I did ask her if it was okay. Their custom is that men and women bathe separately.

No chance to video any firemaking etc. Every one was too p***ed or too busy

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Unlaid eggs are the eggs in the chicken that have not been laid yet.

Not having a farm background I did not realise that it is like a taxi rank in there. the unlaid egg is mainly yolk with a thin white covering and no shell. There were 2 unlaid eggs in there.

Tastes like yolk.

Must be difficult to handle having no shell developed? - how were these cooked ? - i could imagine poaching ?

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
No chance to video any firemaking etc. Every one was too p***ed or too busy

That's a pity BOD, but I guess you will be back overthere some time.
When I have finished DIY-ing at home (installation of a new kitchen) I'll make a new batch of charcloth to try out with the temiang bamboo and flint. Maybe it 'll help when it is freshly made. If that doesn't help I'm gonna try using amadou soaked in saltpetre (from the lab where I work)

Tom

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Great post BOD as usual !:You_Rock_

I'm a bit curious about the knife shown in the last pictures, is it considered a "kitchen"/food prep knife or was it simply the first one on hand ?

Thanks !

BOD

Fred:

It is a general utility knife used for things like splitting rattan for baskets or in rituals like this. In the right hands it can produce amazing feather sticks or message sticks with ‘feathers’ a metre long!

The interior tribes keep it in a palm fibre sheath attached to the wooden scabbard holding their large knife. Apparently, in the old days, it was used to cut through the sinew holding the jaw and neck of a trophy head.

Cheap stainless kitchen knives appear in the cooking areas and are used for food preparation, but I have never seen one brought out for a ritual.

Loz:

I didn’t see the preparation so I am guessing that the reproductive system ended up in the pot as well and that the unlaid eggs were still inside and stabilized by a membrane of some sort.

Until you mentioned it, I hadn’t thought how careful one would have to be in handling them! Thanks for noticing. I'll try and find out when I am next in a longhouse

Tom:

Thanks for reminding me. I am hoping to find the types of rattan that Salang recommends for the fire thong and which may not be available in the Netherlands. I will send it to you once I have a coil. Did you want me to send the lulut and pandanus leaves for the temiang tinder now or can it wait till I get a coil? I will be spending some of August and much of September in the Brunei and Sarawak bush and should succeed in getting it then

Ash

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Did you want me to send the lulut and pandanus leaves for the temiang tinder now or can it wait till I get a coil? I will be spending some of August and much of September in the Brunei and Sarawak bush and should succeed in getting it then

BOD,
there´s no hurry here BOD, so just see if you can get a rattan sample and then send it all in once. I´ve got a carbonsteel Mora for you so E-mail me the address to send it too and I´ll send it along with some cramp balls, amadou and flint.

Cheers,

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE