Fatal Rabbit Flu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
Have a look at this link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/5269766.stm

This is the only recorded case of a fatal infection but the transmission is unusual, in that it is believed to have entered through a blister. It's normally contractedin humans by animal bite.
By the sounds of it the bacteria are a part of the normal respiratory flora of rabbits/sheep/cows/dogs/cats but it is 'special' in that it can infect but animals and humans.
It normally responds to penicillin based broad spectrum antibiotics.

From what I can find its not clear why the man who became infected developed such rapid septicemia.....

Seems sensible to wear gloves tho and to cook the bunnies thoroughly.

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
If your so worried by this that you would use rubber gloves then you should stay well away from British roads. :p

Geoff

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
What ever happened to all the histeria about miximatosis (dunno if i spelled that right, but you get the point). Is the rabbit flu mentioned miximatosis, or is this a whole different thing?

Iv had severe acute ecsma on the back and some fingers of my right hand for roughly 6 years now so Im definately gonna wear gloves come winter when the point in time comes that I can use the majority of the rabbit - meat, pelt and bones.

When removing the lower legs of the rabbit, another thing to watch out for is the sharp bone when you snap the leg off. I did that once before n it bloody hurt actually. Perhaps the answer would be to cut the legs off at the joint in future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE