Fast growing windbreak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Apart from the infamous leylandii, what would you call a fast growing tree to use as a windbreak? How fast do beech grow? Am also looking for something about 10-15ft hihg to fill in between other trees.
Ian.

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
The traditional windbreaks are grown from Poplar, but it depends how high you need windbreak and the surrounding areas.

Conifers are quick but will remove everything from soil making it hard to grow anything next to them. The also can make areas become permanent damp and moss covered.

Conifers also cannot be controled well with regards to top height and depth cutting back or removing side branches etc will leave dead or open gaps.

Broadleaves can be control much better.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Wanderinstar,
I think you might have to give this a bit more time and consideration. Sure Leylandii are fast growing, but before you know it you going to have to pay for maintenance of them. I'm in a similar boat, a previous owner planted loads of conifers that are now so tall that the wind cuts through underneath all of the bulky foliage, between the trunks. I'm going to have to replace them over an extended period with something more suitable. Thinking along the lines of willows, birches, hazel hawthorn etc - something that wont grow too big but will afford some respite from the prevailing winds all the same. The fact that I live on top of a Welsh hilltop is going to be a challenge.
Remember that if your area is prone to heavy snow in winter, a windbreak will encourage drifting where the wind slows - many folk in this area do not like hedges close to roads for that reason.
That said, the Smallholding magazines often carry adverts for fast growing "screen" plants related to sugar cane and other shrubs that might be suitable for your purpose.

ATB

Ogri the trog

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Thanks Ogri,
No I dont want to use leylandii, just mentioned them before someone else did. Think I may go with willows and hazel. They can be coppiced as they get thicker I believe.
Ian.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If it is not near building (due to the roots) I can get you some free willow wand. As these where orginally fo Short Rotation Coppice they grow loke mad and are Ok in poor soil and in close proximity to other trees. And of course they coppice well.

The one behind the house where cut 6 months ago and have grown about 8 foot. Cut them very 3 or 4 years and they will grow rapidly (1-2 years to 5m +). No specially prep needed, shovel the wands in the ground in April, mulch with compost (feeds then as well) and kep mosit for a few weeks.

They make great hearth boards as well.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I planted a willow in my mums house and within 3 years it had outgrown the lelandes by 3-4 times, only problem is that its not dense enough to make an effect windbrake.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Willow is easier than hazel; beech takes flippin ages to grow! Beech is fantastic as a hedge, but is very slow growing, so no good for what you want.

Hazel and Willow are both great (we have hazel in our hedge) - I'd go with hazel as it seems easier than hazel, but that could just be our soil & conditions.

Try The Willow Bank (http://www.thewillowbank.com/) if you can't get any free from the other poster.. :)

For a hedge you need particular kinds of willow (i.e. not the weeping kind for instance), and should plant it in a double, offset, row, for best densities, but it'll grow fast and will thicken out nicely if you use the right stuff.

ODG

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Oops! Yes, I'd go with Willow... :)

If you ring the guys at Willow Bank, they're extremely helpful and will recommend the types to go for. You can go with either a single variety, or multiples for a variegated effect...

ODG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
In spite of your wish for a broadleaf - red or Norway pine (same thing) have always been my favorite for a windbreak. In sandy soil, with a bit of cultivation -and fertilization after the second year - they grow incredibly fast. They do keep other things from growing and pile up duff in a hurry, but I don't much care to mow lawn, and view that as an asset.

PG

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Can you plant willow, double, off-spaced lines with some beech behind it? Use the willow to start with while the beech takes hold?

I got my willow from Willow bank and they provided excellent service. Also out of 50 "sticks" sent only 2 failed to come to anything! I'm in the process of cutting the first years growth back Approx 1.5-2.0 metre wands 3-5 on each stick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE