Fantasy Land Purchase

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I did look into things a bit further after the last similar thread.

The problem with a group of people getting land for bushcrafty activitiies in England`and Wales is that, unless there's specific usage permission,( from memory) your limited to 28 days per year between you, though no doubt if could be argued that your working/tidying the woods when gathering up some dead standing wood and burning it, which I believe is allowed unlimited days.

Don't know how it would work in Scotland, with the land access rights, as it'd be a bit harsh if the general public was allowed to spend more time camping on it than the owners legally were.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
the owners of a plot are limited in their usage of their own land?!

Own it? not in the sense that they can do what they wish with and on it, they have title to specific usage and rights and restrictions.

The 28 day rule is ( I think ) unde articles 4 & 5 of The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order

For context of how it may affect bushcrafters planning on sharing woodland here's a House of Commons quote

"In the context of woodland, several of those rights could be relevant. The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 allows for the stationing of caravans, camping, works necessary for the purposes of forestry, and the staging of events on no more than 28 days—in some cases, 14 days—unless the land is a site of special scientific interest. I note that the area to which my hon. Friend refers adjoins the SSSI site of Cleddon Bog. The fact that, although it is not itself a SSSI, it adjoins one, might be relevant to a planning application, but that is a matter for the local authority. "

From http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmhansrd/vo041012/halltext/41012h04.htm

which talks about dividing up woodland and in places it specifically mentions www.woodlands.co.uk and their practises.

Note how they discuss the possibilities of using compulsory purchase orders to get the woods back should they feel the need.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Maybe that is why lots of groups buy half an acre each, but have common use of the whole, as a way of gettign round that 28 day rule. Each owner would have 28 days for their own plot, rather than all the owners having 28 days between them.:dunno:

Aug 21, 2009
northants
i have about 3 acres of grassland near thetford with a small wood and a river running along the boundary with fishing rights, however all the trees are broadleaf.I purchased it 5 years ago for buttons and i cannot believe how land values have soared

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE