Ever fancied Open/Canadian Canoes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Hi All,

Everyone should have an email in their inbox with details of the meeting place and time. Weather looks dry but with a brisk northerly :D so wrap up warm!

See you all Saturday

Cheers,

Alan

PS I think dave has a big silver transit and I'll be as per the piccie above!

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
yes I do, right down to my cute button nose and really bad smell :D

When I was slightly younger I had a grey stripe in my quiff (ooerr missus) thankfully the rest of my hair has caught up in the greyness stakes so it's not as noticeable.

And I wear roll on now ;) :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alan

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If individuals/small groups would like instruction in West Wales (not everyone can get to Scotland easily) drop me a line and I will try and get something lined up here as well.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Many thanks to Chainaw for organising this - just back from a fantastic day out with him, Nagual and a great bunch of SotP-ers :D

Much kudos to Dave of Standing Waves for his patience and teaching skill.

Though I managed to stay mostly dry - some of the SotP-ers got a bit wetter than they expected, but at least it gave Dave a chance to demonstrate rescue techniques :lmao:

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Was a top day, weather was great, Loch Ard was stunning and it was sunny for the majority with an occasional gusty wind to make it interesting. Even had some snow but it was never terribly cold. Dave the coach was really excellent, most instructors will get this intuitively, but I loved the way he gave you a bit to do, let you figure out it's good bits and bad bits then tell you how to get rid of the bad aspects to give you a small jump in ability (in my case barely detectable!) I was also mightily impressed (and sickened! ;)) by how easy, effortless and efficient he made it look!! Swine! :D

Andy_e is the spec on the right

2389665695_85ae5ef66f.jpg
it

Nagual, making it look easy (damn nice looking boat!);

2389666209_7a64545924.jpg

dave the coach

2389668439_c303e1d5b5.jpg

We then moved into one of the wee rivers that lead to the next lagoon down which was a great place to paddle, could have kept going on this one!

2390504424_76281d7ca3.jpg

trying to get an action shot of nagual, but as we were both laughing our heads off it's a bit blurred!

2389670637_8c3682def1.jpg

we get our act together, sort of :eek:

2390505442_4478c2050c.jpg

now to scare the children and small animals, andy and me, note andy's swedish army cardigan and barely visible matching slippers ;)

2389667291_23249cd0bc.jpg

2389666735_c82872a287.jpg

Should have put black rectangles over our faces... big ones!

All in all a cracking day out, great company and great coaching, would thoroughly recommend it. Dave may be looking to run another beginners course sometime later in the summer, I'll post the details here when if we get something sorted out.

Cheers,

Alan

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Thanks again Alan for organising this, even if you say you did it for purly selfish reasons, it was still great fun! The best bit of the day for me was at no point falling in although a couple of the group decided to test the recovery and rescue techniques first hand. They did very well, God bless'em :D

Hats off to Dave, our instructor. He essentially had 8 very inexperienced canoeists, with a lot to try and teach us, only only a few hours to do so. He managed to impart his knowledge so that well all understood what was required, even if we couldn't actually apply in in the practicle sense. I know now how much I don't know about canoeing. I even managed to get going in a straight line for a few moments. J stroke or Canadian stroke.. hmm choices choices.. well not really I managed to go straight for oo about 10 seconds then without fail vear off to the left no matter what stroke I used, although I think I prefer the Candian one.

The conditions on the day were brilliant, concidering what the weather report said may happen. A light wind swirlling about and a tiny bit of rain later on. Although it was interesting , and frustrating at my / our level of skill, that how little wind can effect these types of canoes, even the small breeze that we had easilly blew out boats around. Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.. ;)

Again a testiment to our instructors skill, was the difference in our own levels of skills and confidence from the start of the day compared to the end.

Thanks again Alan!

Nag.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Any possibility of someone organising something like this again, maybe at Kielder?

I've only ever paddled an assault boat but am seriously fancying getting into open canoes.

Just a thought, there must be a few in the NE of England who might be interested. I'd sort it myself but don't know a thing about it!

best wishes
R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE