Ever fancied Open/Canadian Canoes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I'm been chatting to Dave Rossetter from Stirling Canoes/Standing Waves about setting up a 1 day introductory course for relative newbies to open canoes. This post is simply to gauge interest and comments and see if we can get a group of us together. I'd like to stress that I'm just another punter here, I have nothing to do with SC/SW, other than they are my nearest shop and they take money off me occasionally, I'm just organizing it hoping to get the cost down!

Numbers -
Min 1 - Max 8

Dates -
Always a problem getting a date that suits everyone but the season is starting to hot up a little now and the only spot available in April is Saturday the 5th, other than that we're into the end of May.

Location -
Somewhere in the Trossachs! Dave would make the call depending on the weather, don't want to get all sun burned on our first day out....
wink.gif

Course content -
I had the following topics down but Dave's more than willing to tailor the course to anything we want, I had basically 1* stuff;

good kit/bad kit pointers
boat handling pointers
how to get in and out(!)
basic safety
basic strokes, keeping a straight line etc
flatwater rescues

Dave mentioned pulling in some of the relevant canoe elements from the 2* and 3* program as well and we may touch on some river topics too.

Prices -
1 person = £150
2-4 people = £60 per person
5-6 people = £50 per person
7-8 people = £40 per person

I've spent more than £40 on a night out
whistle.gif
and I'd probably still be up for it even if it's only with one other, but I'm conscious of wasting Dave's time when he could get a bigger group out.

All in all looks like it'd be a good, full day out, trying some canoes, getting a good bit of customized coaching to get to a level where there's less chance of you dying
wink.gif
and also having a wee laugh. If anyone wants to come along, or if you have any questions then please either post here or send me a PM. We'll do it on a first come first served basis and keep a reserve list. I originally posted this on the Song of the Paddle forum but canoeing and bushcrafting are so nicely connected I thought I'd fire it up here too.

Cheers,

Alan

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
Sounds exactly like the sort of thing I'd like to do...

Only one problem: I'm some 350 miles away :( If it was happening August time I'd take your arm off at the shoulder, but there we go...

I'll surprised if you don't get some takers though

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Sounds interesting and something I'd love to try out. I'd really have to know where it was so I can figure out if I can actually get there, since I no longer have my own transport. I had a quick look at the link, I can look at the main page but all the links seem to be broken for me at least.

Edit: seems to be Firefox related as IE works fine.

Nag.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I'm up for that, it's something I quite fancy learning properly as I've had my eye on some inflatable canoes since the last outdoors show up here.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
ooo interest :)

Nagual - If you can get a train to Glasgow then up to Stirling I can pick you up, I'll be going that way to the Trossachs anyways, just need to check the train times. We may even be meeing up at Stirling Canoes. I'll put you down as a possible if you want?? PS website isn't the best and it is pretty much IE only...

Andy_e - Put you down as a definite???

T1tch - take my arm off at the shoulder and I'll be paddling nowhere, shame you can't make it!

I've got 1 definite and 1 probable from SOTP and 1 definite and 1 possible from here so including me that's 5 so far. I've had a couple of other PMs for information so we may get to 7 or 8 sooner rather than later.

If anyone else fancies it, you may have to be quick, I'll be watching timestamps and to be fair definites will probably have to bump possibles/probables I'm afraid. :(

The SOTP guys usually pull together some meets/overnighters etc too so ample opportunity for a paddle and there's always someone looking for another paddler if you don't have your own boat (I've got a supertanker and am on the look out for another paddler/camper
canadiancanoe.gif
)

2294339321_e5329a90f9.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I only know Dave by reputation - he is a very well respected canoe coach.

I started off with a one day course, where there were fortunately 2 other folk (Gregorach and a an affable non-bushcrafter) and it is astonishing how much you can learn with a small (3-8) group and a keen instructor in just one day. This is definitely the most cost-effective way to learn, as it gives you the basic skills to enable you to benefit from further days out on your own or with friends.

After that I bought my own canoe and then did a 2 day 3star course.

I would very much recommend a course with Standing Waves, and if anyone completing it would like to then meet up in the Trossachs for a bit of further practice, I would be happy to help - as would many of the Song of the Paddle regulars.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I'll definitely be up for it, I think.. :lmao: I've tried closed canoes many moons ago and basically went around in circles all day. However I've always wanted to try open canoes, it looks a lot of fun. Should be a good day.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Hi All,

That's 2 definites and a possible from SOTP and 2 definites from here, plus me :rolleyes: is 6(ish) Nagual, you are a definite right, you don't sound too convinced! ;)

This looks like it's a goer then, thanks for the support, I'll get in touch with Dave and work out some more details,

Cheers,

Alan

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
One place left!

From SOTP it's;

STRAVAIGER
HarryWragg
lottie.lou
turfy

From BCUK it's

Chainsaw
Andy_e
Nagual
Top stuff, thanks all, I don't have that "throwing a party is anyone coming" feeling
bday.gif
biggrin.gif

I'll post more details here when I get them so maybe subscribe to this thread? If you have any Q's either post them here or PM me.

Roll on 5th April!

Cheers,

Alan

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
All places are gone but the reserve list is open;

From SOTP it's;

STRAVAIGER
HarryWragg
lottie.lou
turfy
Bellytubby2

From here it's

Chainsaw
Andy_E
Nagual

Cheers,

Alan

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I'd be up for something like this in the London area. (As a punter). Anyone else interested/ or can lead such?

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Hi Stephen,

That's you down as first reserve, we've got a second reserve from SOTP.

Shaman if I understand correctly you're not wanting in on this or are you?

Cheers,

Alan

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Shaman - course is set for Saturday April 5th, I'll pencil you in as 3rd reserve. Dave says he'd be quite happy organizing another course later if there's enough reservists! Someone else would need to sort this out though I'm about done!! :)

All - Some more details for you all, I popped Dave a bunch of questions, the answers and some of my comments are below;

Q1. Is it just general training or will we have a qualification? Not sure if we would have had enough water time for a 1* but it'd be nice if it was possible.

A1. 1 star might be possible so the option of a star award is there if folks meet the requirements.

Q2. Is all kit provided?

A2. If anyone needs kit then Dave can supply this . On the booking form (we'll cover this later) just put on what is required. He can supply canoes, paddles and buoyancy aids.

Q3. Is it 1 person per boat or are we going tandem?

A3. It will need to be a mixture. Due to the nature of this type of course I tend to mix it up anyway as learning solo skills can be done tandem etc. (It'd also be good to learn how to be a good tandem paddler too! - Alan)

Q4. Camping or B&B information

A4. Wild camping is always an option but if you want a site or even a wee B&B then try tourist info at either

Stirling Tourist Information Centre
41 Dumbarton Road
Stirling
Stirlingshire
FK8 2QQ
Scotland
Tel: +44 (8452) 255121
E-Mail: stirling@visitscotland.com

or

Callander
10 Ancaster Square
Callander
Perthshire
FK17 8ED
Scotland
Tel: +44 (8452) 255121
E-Mail: callander@visitscotland.com

Q5. Do you want us payment on the day or a payment or a deposit up front? If so how do we pay, phone it in?

A5. Dave needs to get a booking form to all involved as this helps gain vital info prior to the course. This is where folks can put on if they need a canoe, bouyancy aid etc. He can accept card over the phone or cheque. So if we can get names, addresses, email and a phone number to him as soon as possible he can get the forms off. You can either get to him via PM on SOTP (dave rossetter) or if you're on BCUK, PM me and I'll forward it on. If you want you can always try the Email contact from http://www.standingwaves.co.uk/

Suggest something like;

Alias name/Forum:
Address:
Email:
Telephone:
Mobile:

Q6. Will we be getting wet? I suppose we may be if we're doing rescues??

A6. If anyone wants to do rescues then this is the time we will be getting wet. I can do quite a bit of rescue practice staying dry. I didn't have us getting wet but not a problem to do a full getting wet rescue session or dry rescue practice. (I vote STRAVAIGER gets to go in the loch in April
biggrin.gif
- Alan )

Q7. Will there be a kit list?

A7. Minimum kit should be;
Clothing suitable for the time of year.
Bouyancy aid ~ I can supply (need size of person) (For guidance, I am 6ft and about a 40" chest and I'm a large or xlarge in BA - Alan)
paddle ~ I can supply
canoe ~ I can supply
lunch
dry bag ~ I can supply

Q8. Where will we be meeting up at the unit before we set off or will you let us know the loch location nearer the time?

A8. I would give location nearer the time.

If everyone can get the contact details off to Dave asap he can get the ball rolling. If the reserves want to do the same it may save hassle if we get any cancellations.

Cheers,

Alan

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Hi All,

Hope you've all got your contact details in to Dave Rossetter at www.standingwaves.co.uk as they're looking to get the booking forms sent out real soon.

Also he mentioned on SOTP that "For those that are on the waiting list if you would like another date please drop me PM to see if we can get a date sorted for others. " and Email would do just as well.

Cheers,

Alan

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I tried to but the Contact page on the Standing Waves website is doing something really odd - basically not letting me on to the page to send my details.

Hi All,

Hope you've all got your contact details in to Dave Rossetter at www.standingwaves.co.uk as they're looking to get the booking forms sent out real soon.

Also he mentioned on SOTP that "For those that are on the waiting list if you would like another date please drop me PM to see if we can get a date sorted for others. " and Email would do just as well.

Cheers,

Alan

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
PM them to me and I'll fire them over or give standing waves a phone call and let them know the problem. You'll either get Dave or Susan.

Cheers,

Alan

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Just giving this a wee bump as it's been quiet for a while;

We're still on track, everyone has been contacted and their forms should have been returned by now and as far as I know, we've got a full complement. Weather even looks like it may be OKish if that high pressure keeps coming north! Someone on SOTP asked what kit to bring so I thought I'd post my planned list;

What I'm wearing is;

pair of light outdoor style trainers
Goretex socks
lightweight trousers
waterproof trousers
HH base layer
midlayer
waterproof jacket
either a beanie or boonie hat depending on weather
waterproof gloves
I'll also be taking a complete change of clothes just in case
snorkel.gif

Other kit will include canoe, 3 PFDs, 3 paddles, my usual bushcrafting bimble kit, kettle, FAK, tarp etc.

Just waiting to hear from dave regarding the location, I imagine it'll be thursday or friday before we hear anything but I'll post it here anyway. Dave then chipped in with;

---------
Hi Folks,

I am currently in Skye so have not had a chance to get in the office and check bookings forms about what kit folks are needing on the day.

I will be back in the office Thursday so will be checking then. However, Chainsaw has given a good starter and Turfy what you have mentioned is great. We can spend time talking about and looking at different options on the day but I would suggest that you turn up wearing something as canoeing with only a PFD on can be a bit on the cold side!!

Location.

I will confirm on Thursday as to exact location and start time.

Any questions folk may have then please drop a PM or give me a phone.

Cheers

Dave R
---------

So we're all good to go, just hope that the weather on saturday is as good as it is today!

Cheers,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE