Ever been subjected to constant rain while fire had to be maintained?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Myself and two mates had one going for most of the night in quite a respectable storm - only had larch to hand so it wasn't the best for our stew, but in truth the fire did better than we did that night.
Forgot to add... no shelter over the fire and all that, just a standard fire in the middle of our tents. The canopy must have helped but didn't feel like it was, the fire was rained on directly.

Last edited:

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Keep the fire quite big
Put wood waiting to burn in a ring around the fire to help dry it.
Put a spare tarp/plastic sheet or whatever over your wood pile to keep as dry as possible.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"A large, flat rock on some stones or logs will do it." - that's the ticket!
Enclose fire on 3 sides under rock to direct heat for drying more wood - on 3rd side fashion a wee hearth with airdraw underneath, drying wood on top...

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
I use a tarp, a coal bed, small easy to maintain but was told that placing a punky "log" over a coal fire that has been established would also allow it to slowly burn through the night. Maybe worth a try.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Isn't that not a bit on the Dangeroos side?.

No, done it for years but then I'm the sensible sort :) What do you think high altitude climbers or folk on antarctic trips do?

Don't watch this Stevie, it may give you nightmares lol

[video=youtube;sMz0aMaAUiE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMz0aMaAUiE[/video]

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm half on your side anyway. There's nothing different between conbustion in a little tent and a big tent, especially when you can link a campingaz bottle to one of these

I should think it kicks out a fair amount of carbon monoxide. As long as it's vented you should be ok.

Don't think you could hike far carrying that gas bottle with you plus its butane lol Try a Fire Ball KOVEA KH-0710

http://bluezone-kr.com/KOVEA/KOVEA FIREBALL CAMPING GAS HEATER KH-0710 (4).jpg

may be better for you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE