Eucalyptus Gunnii

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
Earlier today i have been pollarding my eucalyptus gunnii tree and was wondering how long the offcuts would take to season ?
And on another note i read on wikipedia that the sap from the eucalyptus gunnii when tapped taste's like maple syrup and ferments into a nice alcoholic drink ? Do any of our aussie or all black cousins know of this ?

cheers Andrew.:)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
You'll need to season it slow, maybe seal the ends as its prone to splitting. As for the sap, yes it can be tapped and made into a kind of cider but thats about all I know.

Woz888

Aug 17, 2010
Downunder
Yep, also commonly called the "Cider Gum" for obvious reasons. No personal experience but something I definitely want to grow and try out in the future.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
Yep, also commonly called the "Cider Gum" for obvious reasons. No personal experience but something I definitely want to grow and try out in the future.

you should have a go mate i bought a little two foot shrub for £7
and within 3 years it was touching the telephone wires.lol.
i keep cutting it back (pollarding i think its called) every 2 years to keep the bluey-grey young foliage.

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I've certainly heard of cider gums, but they grow down in Tasmania, so none up here.
I believe that in spring aboriginies would scar the bark and collect the sap which flowed down the trunk. The talk is of scaring rather than tapping (like a birch), but I've never seen it. Other say that the sap is similar maple syrup in texture and uses. I've read that in some cases aborigines would actually chop a small "basin" into the tree and direct the sap so that it would collect in that; in other cases they would just use a (bark) container to collect the sap. Fermentation was produced just by natural yeast in the air.

Supposidly the ground under the trees can be covered in "manna pellets" which can be collected and eaten (I guess under some mature trees which could be hundreds of years old (?), not sure about young trees). I guess the pellets are some kind of globules of sap ? Once again I haven't actuall seen detailed pictures or spoken with people who have.

Because the sap would attract possums and other creatures, it was common practice to trap and hunt around the base of the tree.

I suggest waiting until spring and try some scarring aor tapping and see what you get !

Seasoning eucalypts: the rule of thumb for most timber is 1 year per inch, but it depends on what sort of size you have and what you want to do. A large eucalyptus log will tend to split as it dries out. Commercially the logs are kept wet (with sprinklers) and are sawn ASAP after felling, then left to dry. I think commercial realities dictate how long the timber dries rather than allowing nature to take its course.
From experiance with small bush timbers, its best to work the timber green, once it dries it gets very hard to work with !

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I had the same in my garden, a really fast grower.
Having installed solar direct hot water at my place, I cut said tree down as it was about to start shading the tubes on the roof.
I kept said logs for the future along with a small apple tree that I cut down.
Spoons, must try that.

Woz888

Aug 17, 2010
Downunder
>but they grow down in Tasmania, so none up here

I wonder if they would grow up here though, guess I'll know in a few years.

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
>but they grow down in Tasmania, so none up here

I wonder if they would grow up here though, guess I'll know in a few years.

Hi Woz888, not sure where you are, but they should be fine in the cooler parts of Aus. I must admit this thread has made my think I'd like to plant a couple myself, but no room I'm afraid. I'll have to keep an eye out for some growing in someone else's garden ! .... where did you say you planted them .... ;-)

Woz888

Aug 17, 2010
Downunder
No plantings as yet until I find "my place". Looking at NE Vic so should be cool enough in Winter, not sure how they would cope with the summer though. More research required.

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but next weekend the kids are doing a raft race and need paddles, and last weekend we were out camping ... here's the connection ....
Near where we camped a large eucalypt had recently fallen (as they do) and so I had access to the lots of the small branches up in the crown. I selected a few Y shaped boughs to make into paddles, but the only suitable ones where quite thick (approx 10cm).

I bought the boughs back to camp and started to shave them down to size with a small axe. I rough trimmed them down to about a 5cm diameter but by that time my arm was aching. I had originally thought I’d use my knife to tidy them up and then sand them down, but it was so much work chopping with the axe I just didn’t fancy that I could carve them in time, so last night (at home) I took out the angle grinder and used my Arbortech woodcarver (no affiliation) to tidy them up and then a flap disk (sandpaper) to smooth them off. The paddles are quite tall and I removed a lot of material, and there are two of them, but I’d like to hear how you chaps get on with your spoons.

Most eucalypts have beautiful grain and lovely colours, but it is hard, slow work without power tools !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE