etching aluminium

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Hello all,

I'm trying my hand at the mini photon stove as descibed on british blades. I've got an idea to try and etch a bushcraftUK 'leaf' symbol on the side of it.

Couple of thoughts/questions

This doesn't appear to be a high pressure device but could etching significantly weaken the alu can?

Is there an environmentally friendly way of etching aluminium without resorting to anything exotic?

red

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Are you experienced in etching alu? Because I wouldn't have said it would be easy - I'm thinking of that oxide coat. And if the etch will be deep, then yes it will weaken it as alu isn't awfully strong. Simple solution - make it thicker.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
You can use a dilute copper sulphate solution to "paint" it.

How dilute and how well it takes is.....variable.

Adds:- you could also have a go with Aluminium Etching Primer which will be familiar to anyone who's ever repainted a Landy from bare metal.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Hmmmm, well my first effort is not worth doing anything fancy on - there are some dints and tiny folds in the alu where I had to shim the bits together. Looks decidedly utilitarian to say the least - will let everything cure overnight before looking at it again.

I've got some hammerite heat resistant paint somewhere - perhaps I'll paint the whole thing in that before drilling the jets - anyone got any idea how hot a stove like this might get? the hammerite paint will take 600 dec celcius if I remember correctly.
dunno.gif

red

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Any alkali will dissolve aluminium to a greater or lesser extent but caustic soda is the easiest to obtain. Be carefull with the caustic soda.
Put a resist over the bits you dont want to "etch" and place in a caustic solution. The alkali dissolves the alumiun oxide surface allowing a reaction with the aluminium. The bubbles given off are hydrogen so be careful.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
why etch it? why not go down the anodise route? then there is no problem with thinning of the material. i seem to recal its quite simple to achieve, and is should be possible to add colour as well. try a internet search on anodising alu.
sc

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Interesting idea - but perhaps overkill for a stove which cost almost nothing to make in the first place - those instructions are detailed however (I wish I understood half of it!!) and probably a good resource for anyone making something they really want to finish professionally - thanks for that link Kikimbo.

I think I'll see if some hammerite heat resistant paint will stick to the stove and survive a proper burn.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE