Essence Of Bushcraft - Woodcraft School

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Been back from this course for a couple of days and just got round to turning my PC on. So here are my thoughts and experiences from the course.

I was met at the Liphook train station by the founder and chief instructor of Woodcraft School by John Rhyder and after dumping my rather overstuffed rucksack in the back of his 4x4 headed off into the woods where the course is set, an amazing ancient woodland just outside Midhurst.

The paths and roads in the wood were made muddy by the rain that the previous week had seen. The weather was to turn out to be perfect for the whole weekend of the course.

One weekend? Looking back from a couple of days after the finish I can't imagine that we managed to fit all the course into three days. The Woodcraft website says of the course "This is not a taster course but is a very full and busy event", they are not kidding. The list of what we covered in three days includes:

Tool design and selection, Maintaining your tools, Safe use of cutting tools, Sustainable harvesting of materials, Practical camp crafts, Fire by friction, Fire making and management, Fire for all situations, Water collection and purification, Effects of heat and cold, Improvised shelter, Ropes and knots, Natural cordage, Basic plant knowledge

In three days!!!

This for me is the best part of the course. Each of the subjects were covered in pleanty of depth with us all working through them and doing these things for ourselves. I am nothing but satisfied with what we were taught and the quality of teaching from both John and the other instructors.

There were four instructors including John and all of them, including the one trainee, were so knowledgable that I could do little but hold them in the awe I've previously reserved for one Mr Mears. Their guidance as I made pot hangers, nettle string, a leaf litter shelter, and most of all fire was inspiring and helpfull. They not only helped where it was needed but also didn't when it was best to not. A great deal of thanks to you all.

I had a great time and would, with no reservations whatsoever, recommend Woodcraft School to anybody.

A few notes to people that may go:

1. Don't take a tent. I did and regret it. I wish I'd set up a tarp and hammock. If you don't take a tent you won't have to carry as much and won't be able to wuss out and use it.
2. Take some sweets. Many people don't and sat round the fire in the evenings you'll be so very welcome if you do... If you really want people to fall at your feet take a bar or two of green and blacks.
3. Take a bowl. It's not on the kit list but you'll need it for breakfast. Unless you have the porridge...
4. Have the porridge. It is an experience all of it's own...
5. Make sure your camera has batteries in and is all set up and ready when you do fire by friction. I didn't and will for a long time regret that I won't have pictures of the first time I made fire with sticks.
6. Remember how much you smile when you do finally make fire by friction. Carry that pride with you for as long as possible. It is a great thing.

For information:

I attended the Woodcraft School Essence of Bushcraft course.
www.woodcraftschool.co.uk
The course is fully catered and costs £275.
It runs again between 20-23 September.

Finally:

I'd just like to extend my great thanks to John and the team. I truly did have a great time.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Nice review

Good to see you had a good and busy time by the sounds of it, and learnt a lot.
The smile is ear to ear with fire by friction isn't it!?:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE