erm ... correction fluid!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
You can buy almost pure Toluene, or a mix of Toluene and Xylene as "Celulose Paint Thinners" in Halfords and hardware stores. It's not exactly Bushcraft, I know, but it might be of use to somebody.

Pappa

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
At this point I should point out that I use these things for professional uses only and in a highly ventilated and extracted room. The fumes, while might be enjoyable to some, doesn't do the brain any favours at all. I would personally stick to alcohol. In an emergency then I'm suree any thinners lke this could be made to burn with a wick, but skin contact and inhalation are seriously not good. Like I said, I have to wear special gloves at all times and when I do have an accident it is not nice. Common sense shall rule the day...

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Actually, I have used toluene in an unventilated room, and the headache it produced was rather unpleasant and long-lasting (it also intoxicates you without you immediately realising just like the solvents in gloss paint). As Spacemonkey said, in an emergancy, any non-explosive solvent would do as a fuel, but there was no reason for me to single out toluene. I just mentioned it as I've used it in the past.

Pappa

WoolyHat

Aug 22, 2005
If you must go down the road of chemical firestarters,then I suggest you try this one.
WARNING: This should only done in the outdoors and with extreme care...
Lay your fire as normal.
On an upturned large leaf place approx 1 teaspoonful of powdered potassium permanganate.(Fine grains burn faster/hotter than the crystals you can buy).
Place this near to the shavings at the bottom of your fire.
Make a small depression in the heap of chemical.
Pour approx one quarter of teaspoonful of Glycerine in the spoon.
At this point,stow away both of the chemicals.
Drip the glycerine into the mound of potassium permanganate.
The resultant exothermic reaction will last long enough to ignite the shavings at the bottom of the fire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE