Enhance the shavings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
I often spare the shavings during my woodwork and whittling. The yare very dry and I keep some in an internal pocket of my ajcket, in a zip lock bag, as a primer to use together with hemp fibres and they work very well and hold a quite strong flame for several seconds.
Now I was wondering if there is any enhancing variation of them. I was wondering about soak them in wax or covering thm with pine resin.

Any other idea or hint?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
You could half dip them in beeswax to make the flame last longer, or candle wax with a small amount of liquid paraffin works a treat! I have seen a thread on here before when someone made there own fat wood by dunking/drizzling resin on them so it would probably work :).

Hope this helps! :)

Dan J

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Ludlow
Parrafin wax is pretty good. Could try vaseline or oil?
Any slow burning liquid fuel really. the shavings will act like a wick and burn pretty well.
If you dont mind them being greasy then oil also helps prevent any damp from affecting them.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Mine all go to family and friends by the box load. Have never throught about using them out and about as there is usually plenty of kindling about. I dont have a wood burner at home so no use to me. I can produce a good few boxes load in a day with a draw knife and axe whilst bow making.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I tried some woods shaving in a wok with old candles in it over an open fire.

You need to work quickly but I packed small amounts into old plastic cups and used the next one as a press. Once set they make great wee firelighters. You can add belly button fluff etc as well.

Or dod in into portioned newspaper and scrunch it up.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I mix coarse sawdust with the molten remains of old candles and fill old egg boxes with the mix to make home made fire lighters/fuel blocks,
If I have used scented candles the block smell a lot better than hexi!

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Thank you all. John, Have you ever experienced that saw dust lower the burning point of the wood? I tried several times with very fine dust and every time there are very little sparkles lighted, but never a stable flame

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE