English axe patterns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'm sure most of you are familiar with the Kent Axe pattern, found all over Britain in car boot sales and ebay listings.

kent-pattern.jpg

But the name Kent Axe pattern suggests to me that the Kent axes must have been different to other traditional axe patterns in the UK.

Does anyone know of any other old English axe patterns, because I have never come across a single one!

It seems odd that there are so many billhook patterns from seemingly every county, but only the one axe pattern.

Anyone know any more about this?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Do a search for the companies that made axes.. Brades, Elwell, Cornelius Whitehouse etc.

Kents were the most popular style for hatchets... pretty much every household will have had one for kindling. They are also great working hatchets for carving and things like that.

Also remember that the billhook was the most popular woodland tool. And we have lots of patterns for them. We had these instead of axes for most of the work short of felling and limbing.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE