Endicott's Wind Resistant Smock with CottonProof - Pic Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Just to be upfront about this. I popped into see Kevin to buy some kit and he lent me this to test/review. I paid for the tech wash (to wash the factory 'film' off the garment) and the cottonproof (both from Nikwax) myself and I will be returning the item to him. I excepted no payment or favours and any discounts I get with him are the normal discounts as a regular customer or member of BCUK. So hopefully I cannot be accused of special treatment!

Initial thoughts:
  • He gave me the stone coloured one. Would show the dirt easily - would prefer olive
  • I am a 42" chest, 15.5 stone and I found the Large quite roomy. It was not TOO large though. Just a bit. I would have opted for the medium I expect. But I do not know the size difference between the medium and large having not tried both on.
  • Seems well made and could stand up to some abuse. Might have benefited from some double stitching in places or some more bar-tacks (only spotted a couple) but I have no evidence to suggest that any points/seams are weak in any way. For the price you can't expect that much attention to detail!
  • Double layer hood
  • Would be good around a fire/sparks
  • Velcro cuffs and neck/chest opening. Whilst the velcro on the neck/chest opening serves its purpose and is reliable I would mod it myself to replace with zip or buttons. However velcro provides a good seal and is weather resistant. Velcro does rub a bit :eek:

Good wind resistance - first piccies are on a very windy day down at Budleigh - it performed well.

IMGP1641.jpg

These pictures are of its 'water-resistance' before I treated it with cotton proof. Some light sea spray - the tight weave gave it some resistance and the 'factory film' did allow for some very basc beading.

IMGP1655.jpg

Now for the real test - after Tech Wash then Cotton Proofing.

Medium rain for 20 minutes

IMGP1880.jpg

IMGP1884.jpg

IMGP1886.jpg

Then 5-10 minutes of the dreaded hosepipe.

Water beaded off very well. Some droplets/areas did 'wet out' under constant downpour.

IMGP1887.jpg

IMGP1893.jpg

You can see how wet my other clothes got!

IMGP1895.jpg

IMGP1897.jpg

IMGP1936.jpg

I was DRY after this test except where the water ran off the hosepipe and down my cuffs. Eewwkk.

I took the garment off to see where it wetted out and looked like there was some water absorption in places.

IMGP1916.jpg

IMGP1920.jpg

IMGP1917.jpg

IMGP1918.jpg

IMGP1919.jpg

I turned it inside out to look for dampspots and to compare with the the water marking on the outside. This was consistent with the wetting out and the damp spotting on the inside. Water being forced under pressure/movement through the tight weave.

Result - some very light damp spotting on arm and back of neck/shoulders. Photos are of front and back of garment. I was suprise how little water ingress there was.

IMGP1909.jpg

IMGP1912.jpg

IMGP1910.jpg

IMGP1904.jpg

IMGP1905.jpg

IMGP1907.jpg

IMGP1911.jpg

IMGP1913.jpg

Not bad at all :)

Now I tested it by pouring a weight of water onto specific area of the garment to see if it ran through. It did not.

IMGP1926.jpg

IMGP1933.jpg

IMGP1934.jpg

After 10 minutes I scraped the face of the fabric with my nail to remove bubbles, surface tension etc to encourage water penetration. Nothing went through.

IMGP1937.jpg

IMGP1938.jpg

I finished the experiment after another 10 minutes and went to find some dry clothes.

Conclusions:
  • Good, nononsense, cheap, effective garment that is well-made for the price and will wear well.
  • Proofing does make the garment more water resistant and would not hesistate to go out for short-medium periods in moderate rain and wind. However this was a short-term (albeit a bit extreme) test. It would be interesting to test it over a prolonged outing to the point of failure in order to guage its limits
  • This test was done with the proofing in a freshly proofed state.
  • I cannot vouch for water transmission if you were leaning heavily against a very wet surface where the pressure would force water through the weave.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Good solid testing and review there. Looks like the smock held up well. Maybe you should have worn more suitable footwear :lmao: than your brown brogues.

Virtual rep, for standing there with the hose! :umbrella: ;)

Do you think the waterproofing will improve as it's repeated?

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Nice review. :beerchug:

I've cotton proofed my smock for the second time, but theres no way i'm doing the hose pipe test! :D

I'll test mine out the next time theres heavy rain and let you know how it held up.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
fantastic review - shall investigate further, although a nice little email from scottish hydro advising me that my new bills are due to be viewed may have just put a dampener on things, but a really good review mate.

Thanks!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Another cracking review LBL. Covered all the points and no fluffing up. Got to say i'm concerned that you seem VERY keen to get your hosepipe out on these evaluations of yours, still would'nt be the same without it! I can't see the pic's because i'm at work, but i take it the family were not involved this time? Nice work again matey.;)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Well that swung it for me. As soon as I had read this review I was on the phone ordering mine in OD XXL. Thanks LBL for a great review

Just to note, apparently they're out of stock atm in the OD large size if anyone else was thinking of ordering any

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Another cracking review LBL. Covered all the points and no fluffing up. Got to say i'm concerned that you seem VERY keen to get your hosepipe out on these evaluations of yours, still would'nt be the same without it! I can't see the pic's because i'm at work, but i take it the family were not involved this time? Nice work again matey.;)

Aye. It would not be the same if I did not get my hosepipe out! :D

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Good solid testing and review there. Looks like the smock held up well. Maybe you should have worn more suitable footwear :lmao: than your brown brogues.

Virtual rep, for standing there with the hose! :umbrella: ;)

Do you think the waterproofing will improve as it's repeated?

Oh yes I'd forgotten my joking about crocs and ventile socks!

As far as improving if it is repeated. It might. But I gave it a thorough proofing the first time. I expect a second proofing may give some minor improvement. Hmmmmm.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Following this article, I've been inspired to proof my Endicott-style smock. I have about 1/4 bottle of Techwash left (which should be enough) but....does anyone have some cotton proof left over that I can buy from them? It seems a bit daft to get a whole bottle.

Failing that, is anyone aware of anywhere with good Nikwax Cotton Proof prices?

Ta!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well that swung it for me. As soon as I had read this review I was on the phone ordering mine in OD XXL. Thanks LBL for a great review

Just to note, apparently they're out of stock atm in the OD large size if anyone else was thinking of ordering any

Did Kevin say when he`d be getting any Large in stock ??

I`m swayed by that great review LBL, that`ll be just the ticket for me round the fire.

Rich

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Great test. A pity many of the gear magazines are not as thorough.

I have a ventile smock and I don't think there would be that much difference in performance. (Though ventile does not need to be proofed in any way as its properties are intrinsic.

The brogues look Goodyear welted and expensive. Loakes?

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Great test. A pity many of the gear magazines are not as thorough.

I have a ventile smock and I don't think there would be that much difference in performance. (Though ventile does not need to be proofed in any way as its properties are intrinsic.

The brogues look Goodyear welted and expensive. Loakes?

Yep. Goodyear welted (good spot). Hunters (as in the wellies).

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Following this article, I've been inspired to proof my Endicott-style smock. I have about 1/4 bottle of Techwash left (which should be enough) but....does anyone have some cotton proof left over that I can buy from them? It seems a bit daft to get a whole bottle.

Failing that, is anyone aware of anywhere with good Nikwax Cotton Proof prices?

Ta!

Did you get some cotton proof?

Moorland Rambler sell it in Exeter about £6. I have some left buy alas I have my eye on my norgee knapsack that I am going to cotton proof. Sorry :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE