Enchanted forest!!! Pitlochry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Ok I know all forests are great but....

We are coming upto Pitlochry for half term and there is the "enchanted forest " light show etc on in Faskally woods

I think my kids would like it but has anyone been to it is it worth a visit?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I want to go and see this too........the last one got rave reviews, a total out of this time/ space type feeling I was told.:D
I know the guys that are doing the Ghost Tours in Pitlochry this year again :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Hi Toddy yes we want to do the ghost tours, who do we get in touch with we couldnt find a number on the tourist info site. Theres lots of stuff going on in the evenings aswell around Pitlochry to do with Halloween , street entertainers , and apple donking etc. We tried to blag another night in the cottage so we could see the Samhain festival aswell. We will propbably visit the Crannog too. We are really looking forward to it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent :D

Hmm, ghost tours. Well it's Monarch who's running it, and Paul and Ali who are working it with him, but I've got no idea how to book it. I'll phone him and ask and get back to you on that.

The Crannog usually has an evening event with a fire out on the roundhouse at Samhein :cool: I know that it usually sells out really quickly though......there's stuff on during the day too though.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D :eek: ,

I spoke to Ian, he's working away from home until later this week so won't be able to log on, but he said that you can book tickets from Fisher's Hotel, or buy on the day from there or the Post Office.

cheers,
M

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
i went to the enchanted Forrest about 6 or so years ago, and wasn't to impressed but it had been a bad year for rain and was i think on the verge of being canceled, id wanted to go the year before but missed the tickets, not sure if they increased the allocation but it sells out quick,

Once your there you can walk around it as often as you like, think its meant to be one way but you can walk back to the start and do it again, good one for the photography buffs. bus picks you up from a visitor centre, think its at stanley or dunkeld, bus drops you off at start and buses shuttle you back, you have a guideline time to turn up but i think buses leave on the way back every 15-20 mins. has been a while since i was there though so may have changed, see if i can dig out some photos.

stoo.

EDIT was 2004 when i was there,
3963491504_affdf368f7.jpg

3962714863_82406c56a5.jpg

3963489796_d8184b2a2b.jpg

3963490310_6529df2a8e.jpg

vid

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Ha! I wonder if that was the same year I was there stoo. It was a few years ago anyway. Was really looking forward to it as I'd been told by friends it was really good (mind you they had been consuming seasonally available mushrooms of a particular variety beforehand! :naughty: ) however, it just bucketed down with rain when we were there and was a complete letdown. I've never tried again but am sure it could just about be ok if the weather was decent. To be honest the kids will probably be bored pretty quickly and it was a bit pricey for what it was IIRC. It's certainly not worth travelling far just for the "enchanted" forest IMHO. The other stuff you mention should be good though. The crannog centre is excellent :D
Let us know what you thought,,,have fun

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
There was a piece on BBC2's landward this evening, that showed the enchanted Forrest to have come on leaps and bounds since i was last there.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
We just got back from our week in Pitlochry. It was a fantastic week and we got to do lots of different things.. The weather was fairly kind and no midges!! lol.

We managed a highland mountain bike safari with good views of wildlife Deer (red I think they were quite far off) Buzzards, Whooper Swans, Various forms of geese (goose?) on Loch Glassie. We also think we saw a Pine marten but could have been a Stoat I guess.
And lots of Red squirrel.

We also rafted the River Tay which was a fantastic family experience and the river was fast aswell due to all the rain.

Enchanted forest. This was really not what I thought it would be and If I was honest I was a bit dissapointed it was quiet and dry when we did it and it took about 15 minutes to walk around it. The little sketches/plays were more for very young children (mine are 13 and 10). Having said that the lighting was quite magical and the stewards were excellent at setting the scene. Ghost tours where excellent in Pitlochry as were the street entertainers.

We visited many forests for walks with the pooches and also did a 10 mile walk down Glen Tilt. There where lots of fungi to study more that I have ever seen really. This area is a really nice area and we will visit again for definate.

Oh did I mention the Whisky distilleries!!! we did not even fine one honest,:rolleyes: ;)

Was a great week.

Andy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
and fairies to cook and tend to every whim....

?????????
I already have a kitchen fairy - I come home, put my sooty billies in the sink and by the time I have unpacked the rest of my gear the bilies are gleaming and a roast dinner is ready for me!
It has to be fairies Mrs F would never be THAT tolerant.......would she?

My Dragons Breath fire starters are real... and my axe has a (h)elve thar makes it easy to chop wood.....:D

drew1166

Jun 1, 2007
Wishaw, Scotland
Thanks for the kind feed back Scrogger, It is nice to get an unbiased review.

I was one of the ghosts and heard there might be some of the guys poppin up.
Glad you enjoyed it.
I had a ball doin the ghost stuff, gettin to hide in the bushes and jump out and scare the pants off some folk.lol

will be back next year.

Drew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE