Emigration to a free land, advice please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Carcajou Garou said:
I'd offer myself :D , I am a giving kind (what dear :( of course not dear, sorry dear!! Abenaki Women are really possesive :lmao: )
I got to go now :togo:
Interesting, maybe we should talk :D :p

Bilko looking for canadian woman,
must own canoe and like dogs.
please send pic of canoe :D :lmao:

( sorry, just a bit of Canadian humour that was told to me when i mentioned my quest to a Canadian mate at work )

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
There i was trying to figure out how i was going to build a life for 4 days under a tarp at a meet and getting the willies about being cold and exposed to everyone etc when what happens?..............

I check my email and get a message from the man himself. Dorian Amos!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :lmao: :cool:
I wrote to him via his website the very minute after i finished " the good life" about 3 weeks ago i spose. here it is.

Hi Ian
Thanks for writing I'm glad you liked the book and hope you did not upset
to many of those crazy comuters! Sorry for the delay in writing but I
don't get to a computer much.
We are all still having a great time in this land of the midnight sun. We
have staked some new land for another cabin further up the Yukon River in
a truley beautiful spot. We have also been searching for gold in this
little trod wilderness and found quite a lot and so staked 3 miles of
claims right in the heart of the Klondike. All I need now is the time to
build a few cabins and dig down to bedrock!
We are getting ready for freeze up again which is why I'm trying to answer
all my emails before I go back acrossd the river. I'm ahead of the game
this year, I have a moose in the shed and a large pile of dry spruce logs
so the pressure is off. Once again thanks for writing,I wish you luck with
your dreams and if the wind blows you north come and build a cabin.
Good luck
Dorian

I AM GOBSMACKED to put it mildly
I don't worship the man or anything but his book inspired me and for him to take the time to write back was very very nice of him i thought
WOW!, now that is just the boost i needed and perhaps a reminder that a creditcard isn't what the good life is about ( as i have been bashing it lately with gear etc ) . Funny; the book comes flooding back now and realy makes me think. I leant it to a guy at work ( alright, forced him to read it :D ) and he shy's away from me when he sees me because he hasn't finished it yet :lmao: .
As soon as i get it back i'm starting from page 1 again. :)

Mum was right, a thankyou letter can make all the difference :p

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
bilko said:
I AM GOBSMACKED to put it mildly
I don't worship the man or anything but his book inspired me and for him to take the time to write back was very very nice of him i thought
WOW!, now that is just the boost i needed and perhaps a reminder that a creditcard isn't what the good life is about ( as i have been bashing it lately with gear etc ) . Funny; the book comes flooding back now and realy makes me think. I leant it to a guy at work ( alright, forced him to read it :D ) and he shy's away from me when he sees me because he hasn't finished it yet :lmao: .
As soon as i get it back i'm starting from page 1 again. :)

Mum was right, a thankyou letter can make all the difference :p

Its nice to know that there are still some good people out there still. That must have been really cool for you :D

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Great thread, guys. Clearly a lot of interest in emigrating to Canada. I think about it every week as there are always medical jobs advertised in rural British Columbia in the British Medical Journal (essentially jobs the Canadian docs don't want....!). My wife is not so keen, however, and at the end of the day, I like Scotland. It is home.

On that note, moving to Scotland from England would give you the advantage of living somewhere with cheaper housing, goldpanning, public rights of camping/walking, cheap fishing, some free shooting and one quarter of the population density.

Regarding living off the land, there was a great vogue for this in the 70s. Most failed. Apparently the best predictors of success were experience in rural living, a second source of income (like writing or building), and a partner who was just as keen on the whole idea. I think Dorian Amos may well have had all three.

I like stotRE's ideas on money saving. Good advice. I bet we all spend too much on things we don't really need. I know I do. Thoreau argued against wasting time working to gain material possesions. 'Simpify, simplify, simplify!'.

Whwn I was working in remote bits of the Highlands, I did meet a few people who had moved up from cities in England, Scotland and the Netherlands in search of a stress free lifestyle. Quite a few of them were depressed and struggling, and there is a big alcohol problem in the Highlands and Islands. Sometimes the grass is always greener.

However, do not be put off. If you advance confidently in the direction of your dreams you will astonish yourself. A preliminary holiday trip might be worthwhile though. I think UK citizens can spend several months (on holiday,not working) in Canada without a visa?

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
I believe you can stay up to 6 months in Canada as well as being able to buy land/property as a non-resident.

Kane

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I did also look at the firearms rules. If you already own a rifle/shotgun it is a fairly straightforward process to bring it to Canada on a temporary basis.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE