ellusive parang

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 11, 2006
brecon
does anyone have a link to a site where i can get a PARANG like mr. mears one been looking for over 2 years off and on . ebay has never had them and nothing on british blades internet points to malasian ones etc wich are not suitable for the uk to long and not designed for heavy woods.
any help appreciated,if not i may comission one so would also appreciate a link to anyone who may be willing to make one for me cheers peeps:)

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
Ben Orford knocked up a bunch for Ben and Lisa at woodsmoke a while back. I had a look at one when I was visiting his workshop last July and was deeply smitten - couldn't quite justify ordering a woodlander AND a parang AND a spoon knife all on the same day though!

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi Lyndon...I too have fallen in love with Ray's parang. I live in KL but have commissioned someone from Sarawak (Borneo) to make one for me based on a drawing from BB. The guy from Sarawak does it as a hobby. Am still waiting for it. He is taking his own sweet time to make it...so, I am at the edge of my seat everyday waiting for news.

Will post pictures once I have received my parang :)

http://www.my-rainforest-adventures.com/

Jul 3, 2008
Hi , try mick wardell on ebay he's got a parang for sale (Item number: 310099158318).
if not to your liking he'll make you whatever you want.
cheers
Ssmithy

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
£450 is a bit over what i was expecting to pay ssmithy :lmao: but thanks for the link its a good pic at least i can base one on it if i have to make it myself lol
dont suppose anyone can cut me a blank from 4 mm stainless and drill or 3holes in the hande one for lanyard 2 to secure scales ?:lmao:

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
Might this be what you are looking for?
parang1.jpg

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Wow...that's a really nice parang. Below are a few I have collected (some presents) over the years.

IMG_0549.jpg

A close up of the Chandong from Sarawak which was given to me by a friend:
chandong2.jpg

The Chandong is a superb chopper but unfortunately for this one, it is waaay too heavy for me to lug around the jungle. I always end up with the straight blade one (second from right).

http://www.my-rainforest-adventures.com/

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
thanks for all the responses peeps, to be honest they all look a little delicate to me im looking for somthing to replace my gransfors and i just dont think anything pictured would get through 9 inches of hardwood and be intact
any idea if ray mears one was his own design maybe? it looks a lot shorter and more robust than the ones ive seen maybe its not a classic parang or somthing looks like ill have to have a go myself maybe start with a billhook , any other sugestions ?

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
thanks for all the responses peeps, to be honest they all look a little delicate to me im looking for somthing to replace my gransfors and i just dont think anything pictured would get through 9 inches of hardwood and be intact
QUOTE]

Maybe you need a chainsaw! That's quite a job for any machete/parang.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Find a soldier who is going to Brunei on a course they sell these at the back fence.

Just what he said In borneo you could probably pick up 100 of them for £450 not just one. Because Mr Mears has used one the price skyrockets (like the bit of Mors Kochanski string I could have sold for £93...I kid you not !!)

In Borneo and the phillipines these parangs are basic tools at a very cheap price (the natives certainly couldn't afford £45 for one let anone £450)

So save your money...Get a flight to borneo, have a holiday and bring 10 parangs back to sell on ebay to pay for your trip..... everyones a winner :D

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mr Mears parang is made in Borneo.

There is nothing special about it and it is not particularly heavyweight.

What are thinking of using it for? To fell trees, chop firewood?

They can do that but a parang is essentially a trail knife cum light chopper to clear a trail in undergrowth something an axe has more difficulty doing.

Why not get the right tool for the job?

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Years ago I bought a French Army machete. It does not have the shape of a typical machete, it looks more like a straight parang to me. It is made out of a good quality, thick carbon steel, has an extremely durable wooden handle that is a bit but not overly crude. It also has a thick, heavy, well made leather sheath. Like a kurki, the weight is biased toward the tip. It has served me well, I gave away my regular machete. I have no idea if they can be found on the market or not, but if you can find one they are well worth it.

Mine was sold to me mail order as a French Army Machete, and I have no reason to believe that it is not, but oddly, it does not have a single identifying mark on the blade or sheath.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE