Elderberry port recipe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
......well in answer to my earlier question, i can now say it was still fermenting.....had a fizzy bottle for crimbo and n/y......so i kept peeking at them every couple of days to check for cork shifting.....but all of a sudden....'POP'.......glug glug glug.....all over the cupboard carpet..... :( .....still very tasty and i only have a handful of bottles left.....think i might wax cap the corks to show signs of cork movement earlier.
Mojo

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bumping this because its been a bad year for many fruit - but a good year for elderberries

Oh...and because my kitchen looks like a bootleggers wet dream :)

Wettstuff

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2005
Ascot
Great tutorial Red, really enjoyed reading this and got if marked for this coming year. Just one question when you say "The first fermentation will be violent so leave plenty of "headspace". Top up when things are calm."
How long does the first fermentation take and what do you do with the extra liquid while waiting for the first fermentation to pass? Or is a just a case of having a cuppa and then cracking on?

Many thanks
Mark

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
First fermentation takes about a week - so make it a really BIG cup of tea :)

Keep maybe a pint of must back in a pop bottle or the like and keep it in the fridge. Add it back after first fermentation.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
2013-09-04+21.20.22.jpg

Gathered all I need, I think. Now I just have to wait untill the elderberries are ripe. A question though: Racking off just means getting the liquid out without any sediment, right?

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
The elderberries were finally ripe here this week, and now the flask is happily bubbling away. I am enjoying this a lot, even without having tasted anything yet. Thanks for the tutorials and advice BR.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just been out to check my elderberries (had to work away this week all week) - looks like I will be doing a large batch in the next few days :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Here is our annual "cook up"

Large batch of port must by British Red, on Flickr

25 litres cooling on the stove right now - will probably strain it in the morning

Lovely elderberries this year - very dark and rich. Picked another six or seven pounds and gave to a neighbour to make their own as they have decided they want more bottles than I can give :)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Here the port is about done with fermenting, and I think i will put it in bottles next week. I do not own a corking-gadget and was wondering if there are objections to tapping in corks with a rubber hammer?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Use a rubber hammer to start them and then a piece of dowel (stick) to get them in that last half inch - works fine

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE