EKO Bio Fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
Anybody got a Trangia or similar camping/backpacking stove for burning meths? I've just got some of this - EKO bio Fuel. It's MUCH cheaper than meths and burns cleaner and hotter. I tested this out this morning by boiling 250ml of water (measured with a syringe) in my new Tatonka stainless cup (with the lid from my Stanley Cook pot) using my little backpacking stove. From initial ignition to full rolling boil the EKO fuel took 6 mins 25 secs, whilst using meths it took 6 mins 45 secs.
To put this into context, 500ml of meths is 3.99 from Homebase.
EKO fuel is £1.92 for a litre (if you buy it over the counter in a 12 pack for £23). Details here....

http://ekofuel.org/alcohol-camping-fuel.html

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I've been using the fuel for a while now, bought 6L off of ebay. I also think it burns cleaner then meths (probably due to there being no dye) and a bit hotter.

Tonyuk

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
does it still smell like meths? I gave away my trangia because the smell makes me feel ill. I'd think about getting another spirit burner if I could source spirits that didnt smell so bad.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
does it still smell like meths? I gave away my trangia because the smell makes me feel ill. I'd think about getting another spirit burner if I could source spirits that didnt smell so bad.

Thats the main reason i never used to use alcahol stoves, the smell of meths gives me an instant headache. Ethanol is loads better, hardly any smell at all mate

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
AFAIK the smell and colour are additives to stop crazy folks drinking it, like bitrex in antifreeze

I thought so. Methanol and Ethanol apparently taste the same. I have tasted Meths and the denaturation leaves a nasty aftertaste that lingers for a very long time.

In fact, you can drink small amount of Meths, bu accident, but you need to drink loads of Ethanol ( Vodka) after that.
Not to be recommended!

This product will smell the same when burnt, so sorry, no difference, Sunndog!

If you feel sick of the smell, your best option is to get medical grade 99.9% Ethanol.
Your friendly Dentist should be able to help if he knows you really, really well.

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
But last year I tested a Kelly kettle, 800ml of water... starting temperature of 15.7C... and got it to boil in 5 minutes 12 seconds.

With pine cones I managed with a starting temperature of 15.8C of 800ml of water to get a rolling boil in 5 minutes 49 seconds.

Natural fuel and the boiling time for more than 3 times the water is less... and on top of that I took a temperature at the top of the Kelly kettle chimney of a maximum of 640C... which should be enough to cook on. So you're boiling water and cooking at the same time with fuel you've picked up from the floor.

Can't compare smells unfortunately as that wasn't part of the test :p

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Dry pine cones are super fuel. Difficult to get hold of in winter though. Unless you fancy digging in snow.

Has anubody tried using pine resin as fuel? I have on many occations. Burns very well, takes very little space and is readily available ( in Scandinavia at least).

I used to place it in the screwtop ( minus rubber seal) of my Trangia alco burner.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
They should smell the same in the liquid state too, if the same denaturisation agents were added.
And taste the same.

Try to get pure Ethanol. A bonus is that you can add a tipple to your coffee too!

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Some are saying they 'don't' smell the same and some are saying they 'would' smell the same.

If some have both I'd love it if you could do a smell test on family and friends and see how they compare.
AFAIK some people like the smell and some hate it, so a mix of opinions is always good.

Failing that at some point I'll have to get my hands on a bottle and check for myself....

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
If you could learn to cook like my Mrs then it wouldn't be a problem...with in seconds EVERYTHING just smells like charcoal.....in our house we pray AFTER we eat.

D.B.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It depends on which denat. agents and which amounts and proportions the manufacturer used.
Different makes of Meths will smell and taste slightly differently.
When I lived in Sweden and dod most of my trekking, I used one specific brand of Meths as it did not taste as bad as the others.
Then after my qualification I could prescribe 99.9% Ethanol, which is the best.
Also the base Alcohol content varies, in Meths it can be pure Methanol or an Ethanol Methanol mix, but that does not change the smell ( or taste)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE