Edible Yew berries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
only kidding, I know they are very poisonous.:yuck:

but I had a chat with a bloke the other day that said something to the effect of:

"I can't remember what it is, but if you take the seed out or visa-versa they are edible"

I've not heard this before can anyone confirm or dismiss this idea?:confused:

Cheers
Rich

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The flesh of the berry is edible but you must not chew/ break the stone.
Better to be safe and spit it out.
If you do decide to try them, may I advise only two or three to see how they agree with you, or not, to start with. Somefolks don't digest them well.

cheers,
Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Yes the yew berry flesh is meant to be edible, and the seed deadly so you can eat the flesh and spit the seed out. Not tried it myself and it's not something I'd suggest either. I gather the birds that eat the berries don't grind their food up in their crop so the hard berries pass through.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
you eat the red flesh which is very sweet but NOT THE SEED which is apparently lethal

iv eaten them and you just have to be careful not to chew the seed and make sure you spit it out. i wouldn’t like to eat them if i was far away from help just in case i accidentally swallowed one:eek:

pete

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Swallowing a whole, unbroken seed won't kill you, it passes through the gut........supposedly it germinates a lot quicker afterwards too :rolleyes:
The flesh is sweet but kind of gelatinous, I think it's an acquired texture tbh.

Much safer just not to eat the seed in the first place.

cheers,
Toddy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Swallowing a whole, unbroken seed won't kill you, it passes through the gut........supposedly it germinates a lot quicker afterwards too :rolleyes:
The flesh is sweet but kind of gelatinous, I think it's an acquired texture tbh.

Much safer just not to eat the seed in the first place.

cheers,
Toddy

Acquired taste to say the least, sweet buy very very slimey.

troy ap De skog

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
In a Shack
yew berrys are ok as wild foods go,
but do NOT try and make an alcoholic drink out the berries, as from my exspirence will cause kidney pains for about 24hrs aswell as vomiting and diahrea...
and as i honly had one glass, it was not the alcohol, not sure what toxin would have built up in the drink.... as these are not the useal symtons for taxane

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Why bother, you now know there is a good element of risk involved, you have no need to try.

We ought to start a list of famous last words

"These mushrooms are fine, I've read the book"

"Nothing wrong with eating those seeds, I feel great"

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
And the Japanese and thon fish that needs a bit of the gut removed undamaged :rolleyes:
How the hang did they discover that one ???:eek:

cheers,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Stop being a bunch of jessies and get them down yer neck! :rolleyes: The flesh is perfectly edible and a bit snotty, I found rolling the fruit around against my teeth with my tongue got most of the fruit off. I have eaten loads this year and had no ill effects. Bear in mind that you will find differences between various trees; the one I go past with Addo and Scruff when they come round here are OK, sweet and very snotty. The ones at Wentworth Castle, on the other hand, are very sweet and taste like water melon, they aren't so snotty and are easily gathered.

I'm not too sure I agree with what you say Rik, by your advice we should all sack camping off because we have perfectly good homes to live in! :rolleyes:

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
Russian Roulette but with a berry that doesn't taste great and has a snot like texture. Seems crazy to even try it. Why not snog an Adder and make a Hornet nest hat while you're at it?

I've heard of lots of people who have tried the flesh of a Yew berry and been fine, but then I've heard plenty of other accounts too (seeds getting caught in a cracked tooth etc) which didn't end quite so well.

My advice on a public forum would definitely be to just accept that it is an extremely poisonous tree and certainly not worth eating any part of.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It tastes fine, like watermelon. It really is the texture that can put you off, but even then it can be more pronounced on some trees than others. I rate them, they give you a sugar rush and a half if you haven't had much sugar and it is easy to get the flesh of the massive seed inside, which is a bit bigger than match-head.

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
You and your 'devil may care' attitude Spamel! I'm sure they're tasty and delicious, all I'm saying is that we're writing advice that will be seen by countless others who may only read the bit about the berries being edible and not worry too much about the rest of the important info.

It may only be a matter of time before some unlucky lifeless soul is found lying in a cemetery with dark pink dribble coming out of the corner of their drooping mouth clutching a screen print off starting with the words "Stop being a bunch of jessies..."

Anyway, I've given up the frogs. That's all in the past now but thanks for bringing it up...

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
yew berrys are ok as wild foods go,
but do NOT try and make an alcoholic drink out the berries, as from my exspirence will cause kidney pains for about 24hrs aswell as vomiting and diahrea...
and as i honly had one glass, it was not the alcohol, not sure what toxin would have built up in the drink.... as these are not the useal symtons for taxane

the thought of Yew vodka went through my mind too :D did you put the berries in the alcohol with the seeds in them still? that might account for the toxicity?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You and your 'devil may care' attitude Spamel! I'm sure they're tasty and delicious, all I'm saying is that we're writing advice that will be seen by countless others who may only read the bit about the berries being edible and not worry too much about the rest of the important info.

It may only be a matter of time before some unlucky lifeless soul is found lying in a cemetery with dark pink dribble coming out of the corner of their drooping mouth clutching a screen print off starting with the words "You're all a bunch of jessies..."

Anyway, I've given up the frogs. That's all in the past now but thanks for bringing it up...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Fair enough, people do have to go into it with their eyes open and understand the potential hazards but if you're careful you can come away with a nice sweet treat! And i do not believe you about those chocolate frogs, they're too tasty to give up! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE