Ebay chainsaw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anshutz1

Jun 20, 2011
herefordshire
Hi all, might be wrong place for this, but.... Has anyone brought one of the 20" 52cc chainsaws from the bay? They are £79 plus posting. MJ-TOOLS are the retailers. Loads of good feedback and seems almost to good a price. I've already got a McCulock 14", and for a "hobby" type saw is very good. As said, good feedback, but wanted to run it passed you folks first! Thanks in advance for any advice.:confused:

2sheds

May 19, 2011
down Gower
i was virtually born to use a chainsaw, spend mostly all day every day using one.
i reckon it depends on what use you have for it and what you reckon a 20" saw will do that a 14" won't.

honest opinion having never seen one and basing it on price alone is it will be a scabby donkey of a saw, won't last and will be mostrly wholy unpleasant to use.

(sorry, only my 4th post and i m being rite negative about stuff)

anshutz1

Jun 20, 2011
herefordshire
Thanks, don't worry about negative thing, thats why I asked. Moved around a bit and been 12 months since last had wood burner/open fire. Now playing catch up, building log shelter and trying to find any and as much wood as I can without paying! As said the McCulock has done me well, but thought bigger blade would help in logging bigger bits, also bigger CC. That all said I already thought it would be too good to be true...... Would prefer Stihl or better, but not enough pennies for that. Thanks again for help

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
A 14" bar will cut through a 28" log - that's a massive tree! I wouldn't advise an amateur with a cheap chainsaw to even attempt felling something that big & if someone is delivering logs bigger than that, how are you moving them?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
im a tree surgeon and at work we rarely need a 20" bar and when we do its a BIG tree. i don't want to sound nasty but if you need to fell a tree that needs a 20" bar you really shouldn't be touching it!

also a profesional 50cc chainsaw doesn't have the power to pull a 20" chain let alone something worth £79.

i know these saws, they used to be ilegaly badged as husqvarna in part of an ebay scam and where sold for around £400:cussing: i wouldnt waste your money on it.

what do you need the saw for? why cant you use your McCulock?

pete

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Its worth noting that there's some fake Sthil chainsaws about, from China and very cheap new saws.

Worth checking it out fully before you spend money on them.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If you can buy a new Stihl mail order then it ain't a Stihl... (unless the seller knows you've used a chainsaw before)

Oct 12, 2009
Herefordshire
My brother bought one of them saws when a huge tree on our ground fell onto the farmers ground next door , We have a stihl saw but this tree was way to big for it , so as mentioned we bought the cheep saw just to clear this tree , at that price we figured if it just done this tree it would be ok . Well it done the tree fine , a few bits shook loose and a few bits fell off but to be honest it still fires up second pull and runs sweet as a nut . Its no where near a stihl but i think as long as you remember that its fine . We dont use it much now but if we are cutting some big stuff then we get it out and it does whats asked of it .

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
A friend of mine brought an everlasting chainsaw from Argos. Its a Spear an Jackson 16" saw, cost £100 but when it went wrong within 2 years of purchase( didn't start within 5 pulls), he just took it back and they gave him a new one. I know somone else who is on his 3rd one in 5 years.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
A friend of mine brought an everlasting chainsaw from Argos. Its a Spear an Jackson 16" saw, cost £100 but when it went wrong within 2 years of purchase( didn't start within 5 pulls), he just took it back and they gave him a new one. I know somone else who is on his 3rd one in 5 years.

Is this meant to be a good thing or bad? I just despise these cheap horrid tools, we all know they will be in landfill in a year or two if not less. It has got to be a lot worse for the environment to have made those three cheap crappy saws instead of one decent one. Personally I would rather wait until I can afford decent stuff and if I can't afford decent I manage without.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Its actually a good thing Robin. We do a lot of logging and fuel 6 large open fires. We also have 3 huskys of various sizes but he preferes his S&J so it is heavily used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE