Eating from Natures larder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Hello, I had a small fire in the garden yesterday. As I decided at pretty short notice I couldn't forage for any food. So I would like to know as Autumn is pretty much upon us what ingredients/foods does nature provide for us and what are the best dishes to incorporate them into. i.e cattail, blackberries, hawthorn, beech leaves, nettles etc etc.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
skip the hawthorn and beech leaves as they are best in spring when new and not so tough

this time of year ya should be able to find fruit and nuts ( haws are edible and so are beech nuts)

one of my favourites are sweet chestnuts which sadly dont seem to thrive up here

mushrooms and various fungi should be easy to find this year with the warm damp weather

look around places where wild garlic grew in the spring you should find little white garlic bulbs just lying on the ground, (scrape em with a nail and ya will know they are garlic ;) )

one thing i always find hard to get in the wild are starches and edible roots tho i guess farm / garden crops are all ripe too now

doesnt feel right pinching turnips tho even if it is my dads farm :roll:

would appreciate any suggestions for good "fillers"

Tant

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Tantalus said:
skip the hawthorn and beech leaves as they are best in spring when new and not so tough

this time of year ya should be able to find fruit and nuts ( haws are edible and so are beech nuts)

one of my favourites are sweet chestnuts which sadly dont seem to thrive up here

mushrooms and various fungi should be easy to find this year with the warm damp weather

look around places where wild garlic grew in the spring you should find little white garlic bulbs just lying on the ground, (scrape em with a nail and ya will know they are garlic ;) )

one thing i always find hard to get in the wild are starches and edible roots tho i guess farm / garden crops are all ripe too now

doesnt feel right pinching turnips tho even if it is my dads farm :roll:

would appreciate any suggestions for good "fillers"

Tant
Thanks Tant
I'm abit wary about mushrooms and fungi as I have no experience with them and would rather go out for a walk with someone in the know who can point them out to me.

When I was up in epping forest the other day I was walking round the lake and saw lots of cattail, the roots of which are very starchy apparently. I think you can also eat the white parts at the base of the stem at any part of the year. Unfortunately I couldn't take one as I was with my uncle and he thinks I'm mad already.

Anything else? Any dishes I can incorpate the dishes into? What about greens and tubers?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
yeah best to go with someone who knows their way around the shrooms

even books can be confusing especially if you are not sure what you are looking at

mushrooming does not seem to be as popular in the uk as other parts of europe and sadly much local knowledge may have disappeared

perhaps because our woodlands are generally smaller?

even variations between the mushrooms i ate quite happily in germany and the ones i find here in the uk make me a little wary

but hey i'm still alive :)

doesnt the forrestry comission do fungus foraging days?

as for cattail i am not sure i would recognise it, maybe it doesnt grow so well up here? like all these things ya get to know the names of the stuff ya find, perhaps i never found it yet?

Tant

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Thanks Tant, I'll have to look into that. I thought I saw somthing about some kind of foraging days when I went to an information centre in the forest, Gary do you know anything about that?

Cattail are tall plants with a distinctive flower head. During the spring months the flower head is a down that is great for use with charcloth and steel or a firesteel.They are found close to water usually in boggy areas I think

here is a picture

cattail.jpg

cattail.jpg

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
oooh i always called em bullrushes

not too many of them up here tho , guess i will have to stick with turnip greens for now:yuck:

Tant

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Young Bushman said:
Cattail are tall plants with a distinctive flower head. During the spring months the flower head is a down that is great for use with charcloth and steel or a firesteel.
I lit my first fire with magnifyier using cattail down. :wink: It has to be dry and then conpressed to a thick bundle. When the black, burned spot is big enough, just blow very hard! :) Well, it worked when I did it. :biggthump

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Paganwolf said:
I can probably arrange one, what do you think? :?: Get your self Mushrooms by Roger Phillips pukka book bit big but very very good :wink:

FUNGI - MUSHROOMS:

They produced a handy pocket size version of the Roger Phillips book called:

Mushrooms: The Photographic Guide to Identify Common & Important Mushrooms
By Roger Phillips, Jaqui Hurst
Paperback, December 1986
ISBN: 0241117569

Like the big version the fungi named have gone though a fair amount of renaming but the photograph of each species and details help identify both edible and non and toxic.It is a very good ident book. Glad you are being cautious to start ;)

Good place to go to find updated botanical and comon names is the British Mycological Society web page.

They have a list available as a .PDF file download called 'List of Recommended English Names For Fungi in the UK'

They have quite a good site including details of regional and Local groups. For you in Essex it is the aptely named:

Essex Fungus Group

they in termlink to the:

Esex Field Club

£5 annum for under 18. They organise fungi group meetings. In October they have the following:

OCT 2004

Tues 5th
Fungus Group. Foray in Ingatestone area. Meet 2.00p.m. on the edge of the common land opposite the Cricketer's Pub. TL 636013. Leader Graham Smith (01277 354034).

Sat 9th
Fungus Group. Foray on Davy Down, South Ockendon. Meet 10.30a.m. at car park on road between Lakeside and South Ockendon, south of the Mardyke river. TQ 593798. Leader Mary Smith (01708 22

It says they welcome beginners. I would suggest calling them and seing if it is for you. They would be a reliable contact for starting out.

The BMS do forages but they are weekend long and quite expensive including accomodation etc.

here is another link with some other suggestions for groups that organise forages:

http://www.mycologue.co.uk/resources.html

Finally a very good fungi web site with good photos and reasonable descriptions:

First Nature-Fungi

PLANT FORAGING:

A good place to start is a book that lists edible wild plants by season. One of the best ( in any sense) and certainly one of the best known is:

Food for Free
Richard Mabey
Paperback 256 pages (July 7, 2003)
Publisher: Collins (Gem Series)
ISBN: 0007151721

For the princely sum of £4.99 (amazon.co.uk. you can get it second hand or from a library) you get a great pocket size version of the original book (still available) :). This is great value and great size for carrying in the field. Here is the official blurb to give you and idea:

Food for Free by Richard Mabey was first published in 1972, since then it has been reprinted 11 times. An all-colour, revised version produced in 1989 has sold over 30,000 copies in the trade. A guide to over 300 types of food that can be gathered in the wild in Britain, Food for Free explores the history and folklore of the foods as well as explaining how we identify them and the best ways to cook and eat them. The new edition will bring the subject right up to date. Organized by season rather than food type Food for Free will take us through the year. Richard Mabey's fully-revised text will be accompanied by stunning photographs, new recipes and a wealth of practical information on collecting, cooking and preparing. Beautifully illustrated, beautifully written and produced in a new, larger format Food for Free is designed to inspire us to take more notice of what is around us, how we can make use of it and how we can conserve it for future generations.

So it's over 30 years old (OMG I feel really old now having got an original copy for xmas :shock: ) but it is still inspirational and very useful including recipes etc.

The other 'classic' which I would thoroughly recommend is:

Wild Food
Roger Phillips
Paperback 160 pages (September 9, 1983)
Publisher: Pan
ISBN: 0330280694

Slightly different in style to his other ident books books by. He produced a range of books all using large format (A4) photographic illustrations back in the early 80's which are still used widely for plant, tree, fungi identification.

This is a little different from these in that he talks a lot more about the plants and provides recipes with each description. It covers plants (including seaweeds) and fungi. Advice on collecting mushrooms, drying and wine making. It covers species found both in Britain and Europe.

Great photos, a lot of descriptive text and lore about the plants and of course loads of recipes! Fairly old now but still very useful. £11.89 at Amazon and easy to find secondhand. I know they do smaller pocket size versions of some of the others but not sure on this one.

Another book you should at least try to look at is:

Poisonous Plants and Fungi: An Illustrated Guide**
Marion R. Cooper
Paperback 185 pages (September 11, 2003)
Publisher: The Stationery Office Books
ISBN: 0117028614

WHY? Because it gives a recent and well illustrated guide, with examples of poisoning both in humans and annimals, from an official government source. You will be suprised what is included! Fungi being included is useful. I truely think that we need to consider (as with fungi) the baddies first, then move into the field better prepared and safer to tackle the goodies :biggthump. £14.95 is not cheap but then nor is your life! I would imagine most main libraries would stock it or if asked would do so. Maybe other people can provide links to more suitable or freely available (online?) sources of this.

Finally I must include the VAST Plants For A Future resource with a superb database of plants, both British and worldwide. Really great resource and worth spending some time trying out the search options. Just start off with any you know and work up! It includes Edible, Medicinal or Other Uses.

Thee are LOADS of mushie/ fungi books and wild food books and web sites out there. These are just some tried and tested oldies but very goodies.

So Happy (and safe!) foraging :)

Simon

ps We are fortunate in France in that, if you have any doubts about any fungi you have picked, you simply take it/them to your local parmacy where the parmacist will identify them for you (not 100% infallible but pretty close ;-) as it is part of their training and a free service here. Really there should be a similar scheme in the UK.

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
When it comes to mushrooms make sure that you know what you are eating. Like the old saying goes "when in dobut, throw it out". Cattail can also be used for a handdrill spindle.Use the flowering stalk,after clearing off the fluff.Find the first segment, cut about 3/4 in.or 2cm. before that. Works good with willow hearthboard. A hand full of pine needles seeped in almost boiling water provides more vitamen C than orange juice.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i just collected a big old bag of hazelnuts tonight... good starting point for your foraging.. ok so by now those bloody tree rats have had a lot of them.. but the ones which are still about are just right.. easy to identify and taste good :eek:):

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Sorry for the delay in answering but I dont usually check out these threads.

Fungi forages - the field study council run the ones in Epping forest, cost is £25 (last time I went on one) and this is a really good day out.

Usually starts with a class room lecture or two followed by a forage - pub lunch - forage again - then back to the class room to I.D all the fungi collected.

The mycology experts who taught me didnt show any interest in edibilty so you might want to take a few books on edible species with you to cross reference with.

Overall I would say this type of course is good value for money.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Paganwolf: :lol: Not sure if that's a threat or an honour :)

Gary: those look interesting forages. Shame they don't have a heads up for edibility though. But identification is all important. The frying pan comes later ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE