East Anglia Group! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
Snufkin said:
I'll bring a couple of atlatls and darts and everyone can have a go at throwing them. They are great fun to throw :eek:): .

That would be cool, I've been considering having a go at making some, so being able to have a go would be really useful! :biggthump

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Ranger Bob said:
That would be cool, I've been considering having a go at making some, so being able to have a go would be really useful! :biggthump
Don't expect expert tuition, I'm pretty rubbish. They are dead easy to make and good fun.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
HM WHAT TO BRING, WHAT TO BRING?

the best i can do is bring gear that you might like to try, e.g.

hennesy hammock, (plus two others)
an "alpha tent" design that has been mentioned before on BCUK.

my Snugpak rocket.

Crusader cup cooker, and pepsi can stove.

my MOD survival knife(the shame of it).

i shall try to think of some more bits.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
by the way any of you good at friction firelighting? if so, i shall bring my sticks and please show me how!

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
by the way any of you good at friction firelighting? if so, i shall bring my sticks and please show me how!
Well I've managed the bowdrill a few times so I'll bring my kit. Only managed smoke and blisters with hand drills :cry:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
COOL (OR RATHER HOT :roll: )

i shall bring the bits i have gathered.

i have the sneaking suspision we have agreed to meet 12/13th but not decided where, am i correct? :?:

i am assuming eaton vale, sorry if i sound stupid but i just want to make it clear for myself and anyone else that is coming!

i will E-mail eaton vale ASAP about the possibility.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I thought Eaton Vale too.
I may be able to get there Saturday morning do the birthday party thing in the afternoon and get back for the night. I must confess I haven't slept out under my basha for 10 years :yikes: I'm looking forward to it now.
What are you using for your bowdrill? I have found willow spindle and ivy board to work well. If you can't find any I think I have enough for a couple of sets at least so if anyone else wants one...

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Hey, it's a long shot but if any of our Dutch members want to pop over KLM fly from Amstedam to Norwich, it's only about a 50 minute flight. Don't know how much it'll cost though.

D

DOC-CANADA

Snufkin said:
Well I've managed the bowdrill a few times so I'll bring my kit. Only managed smoke and blisters with hand drills :cry:

I haven't read all the posts, so I don't know if there is anyone locally, there, that can help you with the hand drill, but if not, PM me and I bet we can do it long distance. (An interesting challenge).

:smile: Doc :smile:

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
How could I forget this!!!! I've more or less got it cracked now, so we'll see what we can do!

Fenlander said:
I use willow for both hearth and drill at the moment. I have also had great success with a willow drill and alder hearth. I have also used sycomore and intend trying aspen. I will collect some stuff and bring with me to test.

My set is willow too! I've found it to be most reliable! The first time I succeeded was with sycamore and have since tried birch Which wasn't very efficient) I'm lookin' to try alder next!

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
DOC-CANADA said:
I haven't read all the posts, so I don't know if there is anyone locally, there, that can help you with the hand drill, but if not, PM me and I bet we can do it long distance. (An interesting challenge).

:smile: Doc :smile:
Thanks for the offer Doc! I'll see how I get on with it, one of my problems is my drill is too narrow (I think). I'll try and scrounge up a thicker one and give that a go.
If that don't work I'll take you up on the offer though :biggthump

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Important please note this down!

I e-mailed eaton vale last night, with respect to camping, and other bushcraft areas such as fires and so on.

i recieved an e-mail in responce that simply said:

eaton vale does not deal with the public, it only allows youth groups such as scouts and guides.

so we are going to have to find another site or area to bushcraft in.

!!!*****!!!!

any ideas? we are running out of time! i know R-bowskill told me about somewhere he used to camp locally but a can't remember where he said.

an option for the 12th-13th is a "Quiet" camp somewhere deep in thetford forest.

if people can olny be there one day it might be better to just find some nice woods to climb into.

any links you have would be very useful!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Snufkin said:
I'll bring my spoon knife and possibly a crook knife and adze (if I get round to finishing them) so if anyone wants to have a go at spoon carving. Only problem is I'm left handed so it won't be much good for you righthanders.

That depends on how you use it! :wink:

jem seeley

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2004
framlingham suffolk
Just started coppicing in some local woods. I might be able to get a site for a 'moot' but am going to need a bit of time to establish a really good relationship with the landowners.I think they might be up for it though. Unfortunately this won't all happen for the 12/13th. Keep you all posted.
In the meantime any one interested in going to Bradfield Woods near Bury St. Edmunds this Sunday ( 6th Feb ) I belong to a small group of green-woodworkers who meet once a month here.We,generally,exchange skills,chat & drink copious amounts of tea.If you fancy carving a few spoons,having a go on a pole-lathe,or what have you PM me & I"ll give you more info.They're a friendly bunch who are Bushcraft sympathetic!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE