Dyeing DPM ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I was thinking that a ghost pattern under an olive green dye job would look good and if very faint might not be viewed as DPM, just have to wait on the jacket to arrive now :rolleyes:

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
While were on the subject of dyeing, i found some cheap ventile in cream/white and was wondering if it would take ordinary olive/dark green dye that you get from the shops, Dylon ??

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm gonna dye mine once I get sorted in UK as I picked a few up over the years! They are great smocks, I'm thinking brown may go on well on a faded jacket as long as it is dark enough, leaving you with a brown and black pattern, the green seems to fade out on older jackets.

Tell us how you get on!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I think its alot of unsure work when you can pick up a second hand black SAS smock for £20 - 30!

Only my opinion though - I bgot mine off Ebay for £20.:)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Fair point, but I've got three in good condition, why bin them and buy one in black when I can just dye them to fit the bill at a fraction of the price?

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I got a brand new one still in the plastic wrapping for £40 delivered so i'd rather start with a new one that fits than take a chance with second hand kit.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
And one of mine may still be staying DPM with the possible buying of a Rapid 7!! Ghillie it up a bit I have a smaller one that will be quite handy for this!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
rapidboy said:
I got a brand new one still in the plastic wrapping for £40 delivered so i'd rather start with a new one that fits than take a chance with second hand kit.

Thats a fair one if you paid £40 for a new one, I can see your point, I don't know if your ex forces or not, I'm lucky in that respect because I know what military sizes I take so was able to buy the right size jacket for me knowing it would fit!

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Dyed mine yesterday. Some slight "ghosting" but i like the result :)

Its a 58" patt jacket :)

Before:

Phone1019.jpg

After:

Phone1021.jpg

The flash seems to have changed the colour of the room as well ! :eek:

I used one of the all in wash packs, with salt.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Nice one, i got the jacket and im just waiting on the colour stripper to arrive.
Im not sure if i want to dye it now, it's a cracking jacket and would be great for over the fields in DPM but i already have an old DPM jacket (Dutch i think) that i always use for hunting and i dont need another :rolleyes:
I love the big cargo pockets on this one, stacks of rook for carts, mags , range finders , etc. etc.

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
It's the pin stripe effect you get after dying the smocks black that I am not keen on, but then again I also got black SASS Force8 Smock and that was pin stripped new.

You can indeed see the DPM clearly underneath on the dyed one, not too bad effect though. Never thought/heard of colour stripping.

You can see in my photos the difference between dyed DPM and original black.
DSCF0011.JPG

DSCF0012.JPG

DSCF0013.JPG

I know which smock I prefer :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You gotta say SAS style smocks are just the mutts nuts. I really wondered whether to join in with Sapce Monkey on the ventile one from Sasskit.

Best money I've ever spent. Love the pouch pockets as RB says, windproof, dry in the rain and cool in the heat. Looks so anonymous in OG that I wear it to work!

Dye it Lawrence - you won't regret it if it doesn't "ghost"

Red

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
saffy said:
You can see in my photos the difference between dyed DPM and original black.

opps sorry to those who saw pre edit post, those photos where massive, have resized them now.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
When I was down in London, I went to a surplus store that had a few OG arctic smocks, but they were way too big for me. £50 asking price was a pretty good deal though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE