Dyeing DPM ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have an SAS windproof smock coming my way soon and I'd like to wear it to the range but DPM is not permitted so I'd like to dye it.
Has anyone successfully dyed DPM and what did you use ?
Cheers

ive done deaert cammo even wore it at bisley for years and no comments about you cant wear that its Cammo :eek: (DPM is a BIG no no at Bisley unless your military on Duty)

Cla_2000_reduced.jpg

for your green dpm you may struggle as you will probably need a darker colour
they used to do Black versions

ATB

Duncan

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Aye that's the sort of thing I'm after, i don't think a bit of a "ghost" pattern will matter, it's just civilians can't wear full camo on an MOD range.
I think my local chemist has those wash in dye's.
Cheers

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Get a real gun Dunc :D

Lawrence, I've done the black thing too. Heres a good tip which makes a difference - there is a "colour stripper" you can use before using the dye. It reduces the colour contrast between the bits of the DPM so the dye comes out more even. Well worth using

Red

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
FGYT said:
twas CLA Game Fair Blenheim Palace 2000 the BFTA where invited to put on a Comp was a stupendas week end camping in the grounds and drinking round the fires ............. Oh and a bit of shooting as well :lmao:

ATB

Duncan

Just reminded me of the last section from the Worlds 2005 at Weston Park.

British Red said:
Get a real gun Dunc :D

Lawrence, I've done the black thing too. Heres a good tip which makes a difference - there is a "colour stripper" you can use before using the dye. It reduces the colour contrast between the bits of the DPM so the dye comes out more even. Well worth using

Red

Sounds good Red, is that available in the same range as the dyes or is it a different product ?

MagiKelly said:
I dyed my Soldier 95 jacket using the wash in dye you can use in your washing machine. Came out okay although if you look hard you can still just make out the pattern. Another session on the machine would probably sort that.

I did the same with my SAS smock, ASDA/TESCO's/SAINSBURY's all did the dye. Remember weigh the jacket wet to suss out how much dye and salt you will need to use as per instructions.

You can buy black sas smocks... :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
RB,

Yes if you look through the range of dyes theres normally some in there!

Dunc - nice AR - do you have left hand cocker on that?

Serious point - I shoot at Chrishtchurch a lot if you ever fancy a pop together?

Red

yep its a full Southern Gun Race model with 80grn handloads will do 1000yrds
mind you the day i tryed that we where giving 40ft for wind :eek:

was Dave's who used to work at TAL rms and thats at a CGC bizzers day

if you come to christchurch give me a shout (didnt renew my membership last year :( ) but i might chang that again as ive more time now :D

ATB

Dunc

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Red, how much pattern does the "stripper" remove ?
Enough to dye it olive ? or will i need to use black ?

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
The club's don't like camo at all but you can usually get away with wet gear and the non military camo's are usually ok but when we shoot on MOD ranges we can't wear DPM.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
RB,

Sadly I was told AFTER I used black dye (and it didn't fully cover the pattern) - I doubt it would work for olive but why not try the stripper first then choose the colour based on the outcome (other than two trips to the shops :() I suspect it will be more effective on pure cotton than poly cotton too......

FGYT - I'll let you know - we could compare against my Scout :)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE