Dyeing Desert DPM

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I thought i would give it a go, I like the cut but im not such a huge fan of the pattern, it clashes with my eyes.

Before.
utf-8BVGVzdCBWYWxsZXktMjAxMjA2MjktMDAwNTQuanBn.jpg

After (pic of same place as above)

utf-8BVGVzdCBWYWxsZXktMjAxMjA2MjktMDAwNTcuanBn.jpg

And overall.

utf-8BVGVzdCBWYWxsZXktMjAxMjA2MjktMDAwNTguanBn.jpg

Im happy with the results, even the buttons dyed.

Cheers for looking.
Louis

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
That worked out great. Got a 2008 issue desert smock to dye. Is this the same pattern/material? Were they brand new or issued? Only ask as this is heavily proofed and I do wonder about the dye taking...

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
That worked out great. Got a 2008 issue desert smock to dye. Is this the same pattern/material? Were they brand new or issued? Only ask as this is heavily proofed and I do wonder about the dye taking...

They were brand new, i only gave them one wash before the dye, i tried a second pair in the same solution after and the result was much much lighter. on wearing them you can still see the pattern if you know its there, otherwise it makes them look like they are a bit creased. Still well happy with he result though.

Lou

MattB

Jul 9, 2012
UK
I'm looking to try much the same thing with a brand-new dessie windproof - ideally I want to end up with a tan-coloured jacket, but none of the commercial pre-dye lighteners seem to work. Any thoughts?

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Matt,

The only way you can get the dye removers to work, and then not well, is to boil the jacket in old school washing soda. After that bung it in a washing machine to was the soda out. The dye they use is almost like an emulsion paint and binds to the cotton fibres very strongly.

I have dyed the regular cammo black, it comes out blueish and looks like expensive snowboard kit. generally you have to dye it a deeper colour than the darkest one on the jacket.

S

Danny1962

Nov 12, 2014
Maidstone, Kent
I have had a go at dyeing desert camo, and I'm happy with the results.

The smock went into the washing machine with 1 pack of dark brown Dylon and the salt. The 3 shirts went in with 1 pack of olive green Dylon and the salt.

The camo pattern doesn't go away, it still shows through the dyed fabric but it is a lot less obvious. The shirts still have a somewhat military look with their olive green colour but it's all a lot more discreet now.

Photos here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/1100...6111339430953763218&oid=110055669501444994025

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I did mine a couple of weeks ago using 2 packets of the washing machine dylon dark brown with salt. That turned out a bit darker than yours, but the pattern is still faintly visible. The polyester thread in the weave didn't dye, but I expected that. I will post a couple of photos when I'm home at the weekend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE