DVD player question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Guys,
I have a question concerning a DVD player for my computer.
When i bought the thing I could play DVDs on my computer, one year later and some updates, installations of softwares etc
my DVD player is broken or gone, I have no idea what happend. I can play avi´s and stuff but cant put a dvd disk in and play it.
Do you know of a good software I could download to play my dvds again from the computer?

thanks
Abbe

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Abbe, depending on how you are currently trying to play your dvd's i would recommend checking that the drive is still showing up as a DVD player.
You can do this by right clicking My Computer selecting "Manage" then in the new window that opens select "Device manager" in the list in the right hand pane find "DVD/CD-ROM Drives" select your optical drive and right click and select Properties. Int the properties window ensure the drive type lists it as "DVD......"

If it is still being picked up as a DVD-ROM drive then what program did you use to play DVDs through?

I would recommend something like PowerDVD to purchase to play your DVD movies through.

Good luck

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
andyn said:
Abbe, depending on how you are currently trying to play your dvd's i would recommend checking that the drive is still showing up as a DVD player.
You can do this by right clicking My Computer selecting "Manage" then in the new window that opens select "Device manager" in the list in the right hand pane find "DVD/CD-ROM Drives" select your optical drive and right click and select Properties. Int the properties window ensure the drive type lists it as "DVD......"

If it is still being picked up as a DVD-ROM drive then what program did you use to play DVDs through?

I would recommend something like PowerDVD to purchase to play your DVD movies through.

Good luck

thanks mate,
as I have everything in swedish on my computer I will have to search a little longer to find the places you point me to. How did I play my DVDs before, I dont know. LOL

I only pushed them in and they started. Now, nothing happens and if I doubble click on the DVD icon a little window comes up asking me for the player.
I dont know much about computers and its hard to know for me what I actually used, as the player came with the computer when I bought it.

When I doubble click on the icon it says I should copy the power dvd.sim to the power dvd folder. But when I search for this type of files the computer is not finding anything. ??? I thought it the easiest if there is a free dvd player I could download and install maybe my DVDs play again. ???

thanks for helping mate
cheers
Abbe

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Hi Abbe,

Sounds like your computer is missing its DVD software somehow. No idea why it disappeared after all your updates etc, but until some clever IT person on here can figure it out, why not try a new player.

Just had a quick look, and VLC Media Player seems to get good reviews, does DVD (amongst many other formats) and is free. I must say I haven't tried it (I'm on a Mac, and this seems to be a Windows product), but I've never had a problem with any downloads from VersionTracker. Try it, if it works, great. If it doesn't, uninstall it and go to plan B.

Mark

EDIT: Seems there is a Mac version - just tried it, and it works. Not the most user-friendly program (not as good as Mac's own DVD player), but hopefully it will at least get you watching DVDs until the full solution comes along!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE