dunbo the ice age spearthrower (atlatl)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
here is a replica of the mammoth ice age spearthrower from monsatruc. like the original it was made form reindeer antler. I found a nice piece of character birch (another Ice age species) and attached it with hide glue and reinderr backstrap sinew.

primwep071io5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

here is a comparison shot with a resin cast of the original. it took about 48 overall and was done with a knife and hand carving tools

primwep072us3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

an action shot. I'll give it a go at today's ISAC competition but it feels like it might be a good one.
primwep075cs1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
great video! It looks pretty acurate, or is that just your high skill? Does the antler give it a little weight on the end which gives more power?

Great darts too! wow! What feathers do you have on those babies? Excellent stuff mate!

Jon

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
It's pretty accurate but I do practice quite alot. The antler does add a bit of weight to the tip which would I suppose increase the power. Reindeer antler is suprisingly light and the mammoth is quite thin.
However the thrower was definatley overpowering some of the darts which might call for a longer/stiffer darts or a shorter thrower.
I use turkey feathers either from slaughtered turkeys or from archery suppliers.
Niall

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE