Ducklings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
We have a plague of the wee fellas on the loch.

Some are pretty well grown, others very tiny.

They scoot and run everywhere, and it must be hard for their mum to keep them in line.

One, sadly, has no mother and spends their time dodging bigger ducks.

How do their mothers recognise their own ducklings?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
But why does she peck at strange ducklings then?
Some mothers (species) maybe recognize their own better. Mergansers quite often leave their brood in care of others and one can see sometimes very large broods in care of only one older bird. Then she comes back and the previous caretaker goes to eat.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I think birds are programmed to peck at chicks whose tweets they don't recognise. I've heard that if a bird can't hear it's own chick, through loud noise for example, it may then peck and kill it. Has anyone else heard this, or is it myth and legend of my own making?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ostriches establish a 'creche' with nannies to look after ALL the chicks in one big group.

Ducklings "imprint" on the first moving thing they see. That's usually Momma. Can be a human as well. Pretty funny on the local ranches = keeps the ducklings from running away.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Ours moved on to the neighbours lake ‘coz the pond dried out. This is of great benefit to the newts and hopefully lowers the leach population.
Next visitors will be the roving band of this years youngsters on their way to said lake.
20 or so of this years brood chaperoned by one Mrs duck!
S

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE