Dry Curing belly Pork

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Quick update, this will be out of the cure on Friday, then going in water to soak, then dry overnight.

Sat it will be in the cold smoker!!!

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Oh.. Must have posted in the wrong thread.... Here it is.

2012-08-25182058.jpg

2012-08-25182242.jpg

Had some last night.

Chicken breast stuffed with cranberry and stilton. Wrapped with this bacon and roast in the oven. Mmmmmmmmmmmm

sent from the back of beyond using "new-fangled" technology

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk
Curing in salt will make it salty. No way around that. If you buy one of the commercial curing mixes they use nitrates/nitrites etc and it will taste much less salty. One of the mixes has smoke powder in it which isn't for the purists but does work.

I would smoke after curing, not instead of. I don't believe that just cold smoking will preserve it without curing as well.

Anybody do differently though ?

A word to the wise, nitrate/nitrite use in curing not only preserves the natural colour of the meat, but prevents rancidity of fat as well as being the most effective way of preventing botulism. Not usually an issue if the particular cured meat never hangs around long enough to spoil (such as biltong anywhere near my family), but if making up large batches to keep or intending to store in the fridge/larder, it's essential. Follow the mixing proportions precisely as an excess (particularly of nitrite) is a poison in itself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE