Dry Curing belly Pork

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Done that a few times now. Easy, but you do really want somewhere cool or it goes off before it cures sufficiently.

Never bothered with the saltpetre though.

mark oriel

Bushcraft company
I think saltpetre is more important when curing a ham with the bone in. It helps prevent bone taint and the ingress of bacteria around the ball joint. totally agree with the air flow though. The other problem is too high a humidity, which is why traditionally bacon curing was a winter project, followed by a session of cold smoking. The last belly I cured at the moot I added some mixed herbs and now it is out air drying the smell is great,looking foward to trying that one.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Let me know when you next slaughter a pig - I could be interested in a belly to play with ... if you do not want them all yourself!

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
i tried this once before and it was hugely salty!

I am really wanting another go... i have a question.

after salting, do i leave the liquid that drains out of the pork in the tub and turn it so all the meat is coated in the "brine" or do i remove the liquid and add more salt?

I will also be attempting a cold smoke on (some of) this... help every tutorial on google seems to be different..

Sorry for the hijack

Last edited:

MLL Knives

Forager
Apr 8, 2012
Portugal
www.mllknivespt.com
i tried this once before and it was hugely salty!

I am really wanting another go... i have a question.

after salting, do i leave the liquid that drains out of the pork in the tub and turn it so all the meat is coated in the "brine" or do i remove the liquid and add more salt?

I will also be attempting a cold smoke on (some of) this... help every tutorial on google seems to be different..

Sorry for the hijack

In my home I do my bacon.
You have to always drain the fluid, and keep the meat covered with salt, keep the meat dry.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I have previously made bacon using a salt cure, it is dry, lasts well, retains less colour and is too salty without soaking a bit but is a very good thing. Using this method I keep it out of any liquid that forms, usually using wooden batten son the bottom of the container.

I am currently making some using a commercial curing mix which also includes brown sugar and smoke powder which is specificially kept in the briney liquid. Seems weird but smells good. I shall be removing it from its cling film and putting it in musliin this evening. Fingers crossed.

I had some ribs cured for a shorter peiod in the same mix this weekend, barbecued, and it was lovely.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
My intention was to salt the meat for about 5 days then cold smoke for about 8 - 10 hrs... Is this the wrong way? will it still be salty?

i also read an article saying to salt cure for a week, then soak for 2 hrs in a change of water, hang for 24hrs then cold smoke for 8 - 10.... man am i confused!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Not tried that
As I understand it smoking is a different technique and not really compatible with salting
Don't take my word for it though, I'm no expert

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Curing in salt will make it salty. No way around that. If you buy one of the commercial curing mixes they use nitrates/nitrites etc and it will taste much less salty. One of the mixes has smoke powder in it which isn't for the purists but does work.

I would smoke after curing, not instead of. I don't believe that just cold smoking will preserve it without curing as well.

Anybody do differently though ?

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Here is my plan...

Dry cure the bacon
Soak for 2 hrs
Dry for 24
then cold smoke for 8 ish.

If it does not work then nothing to much lost....

(this plan is taken from a tute' i found online)

Oh, just got to build my smoker first

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
The pork is in the cure! It's been in for 4 hrs and the quantity of liquid that has run out is amazing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE