Down v Synthetic Sleeping Bags for Uk use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I'm a little confused now. I always thought the whole point of sectioning a sleeping bag was to stop its contents (in this case down) moving all over the place, is this not the case? Who makes bags where this is a problem? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick (happens all the time to me :icon_redf )?

I agree that if anything is wet, you are going to be cold. Doesn't really matter what material it is. Insulation works because it has low thermal conductivity, loft is important because air is a good insulator, the reason down is warm is because air pockets exist both within the feather (used to be blood vessels when the feather formed) and surrounding the feather. If you compress it, you have less air and therefore less insulation. However, 5cm of compressed feathers would act like 5cm of uncompressed lofted down as the thermal conductivities are almost the same (0.034 W/mK for feathers, 0.025 W/mK for air at sea level, (all measured at 300K), for those who do not know what thermal conductivity is, the lower the number the better the insulator, (i.e. aluminium 237W/mK, copper 401W/mK)). It may interest you to know that pure water is an insulator (0.561W/mK), its the minerals dissolved in it that causes it to conduct.

Greg

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Stuart said:
look after your kit and it will look after you.

down is much much lighter, packs down much much smaller, and will last longer.

Bingo....that's what I was trying to say below.... howcome I seem to waffle it when others can say the same in one line! lol :rolmao: I must have far too much time on my hands!!! :wink:

leon-1

I am a big fan of down bags, always have been always will be, but if there is a chance that it may get wet (a leak on river crossings :rant:) it will probably stay that way afterwards for quite some time as they are harder to dry than synthetics in the field.

I use a down bag for a better part of the year, but when it gets really nasty out there and the potential of it getting wet becomes greater then I switch to a synthetic bag just for the simple reason that it is easier to dry.

Someone mentioned about the segmentation of bags, I have a bag that has no baffles shingles or anything else, it was made by mountain equipment and I bought it years ago, I use it very little, not because it isn't good, but because it is slightly larger than my other bags and to be honest it is considerably warmer than another bag that has the same seasonal rating that I have.

To start of with I was concerned about how robust it would be, but I have had it for about 10 years and it is still in good condition and if out in a tent and space is not a concern then this is a favoured bag for winter. :)

I have just ordered a PHD Minim 400 in Black Dryshell. I have ordered it as a replacement for a Mountain Equipment Dewline which I used to Death. The Dewline was a bit on the short side (I am 6") so I have ordered the Minim 400 long version. They can do a custom version in olive drab pertex but this will make the bag 30 grammes heavier than the Dryshell version :yikes:

I have always prefered Down over synthetic, simply because it takes up so much less space in my Ruck Sack, meaning I can carry more Food :eek:): Using a good dry bag such as an Ortlieb inside the Rucksack should keep the Bag dry no matter what mother nature chucks at you, and a Goretex Bivi bag keeps you dry when you are asleep. Therefore I have never encountered any problems with Down. I do have a Buffalo fibre pile Bag which I use when I know I will be sleeping somewhere very very wet and I dont have to carry it on my back. This is normally used for Kayak and Canoe trips.

Yes Down is more expensive but in my opinion it is worth the extra weight. The Minim 400 is rated to -5 C the same as my Dewline. I used the Dewline on several trips well below that temperature, using a Thermarest and wearing Clothing, without any problems.

Down almost every time for me. :chill:

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I once went on a bike rally in a wet place with some hills (wales :lol: ), and after a very long ride from oxford to the beacons via cardiff through downpours and blizzards, set up the tent (saunders spacepacker). went to pub, then crashed out. Woke up in the morning with about an inch of condensation in the tent and the sleeping bag (mountain equipment dragon - the old one) soaked along with everything else. :chill:
Second night, i got round to actually using the old survival aids horizontal zip bivi, and the bag actually dried out overnight along with all the spare clothes, socks etc and i woke up nice and warm.
Moral : down and goretex are great !!!!
ps. this was about 17 years ago, and i have learned the lessons from this experience....

neo_wales2000

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2004
wales uk
I use both, but recently won an old Karrimor backpack from the 80's I guess, which had 'odds and sods' in (so the ebay description went. For my few quid I had an old pack in un-used condition, 2 silva type 3's tent pegs, set of alu nesting billies, plus other bits, and a brand new pattern 58 (Long), brand new, and stamped made by 'The North Face'. Its a great bag, anyone else come across them?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE