Down sleeping bag to quilt.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
And underquilts generally have the baffles running front to back and not across like a kip bag.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Ok. Ill expand on 'getting on with it' a bit. It's an old ME classic 500. I was planning of running a seam along just inside the zip across the ends of the baffles and along the bottom of the hood, trimming just round the outside of this seam, then turning this over 2 or 3 times and sewing to seal. I did a similar thing to a cheap tesco bag and it seems to have worked OK.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ok. Ill expand on 'getting on with it' a bit. It's an old ME classic 500. I was planning of running a seam along just inside the zip across the ends of the baffles and along the bottom of the hood, trimming just round the outside of this seam, then turning this over 2 or 3 times and sewing to seal. I did a similar thing to a cheap tesco bag and it seems to have worked OK.

Yeah that'll work just fine Nick, just sew before you cut :)

There's some good info on hammockforums where folk have done this in the past, I'd dig out some links for you but I'm too busy at the mo

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Is it simply a case of cutting the hood and zips etc off and just getting on with it?

+1. That'll work fine. No problem with baffles running across, it's the shape that's important and the ME is shaped to a curve IIRC. Chis is right, It's not common but that is because it's a bit more work to do the baffles that way from scratch.

mt-washington-3.jpg

This is a US commercial a Jack-r-Better quilt.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Cracking. The bag has a draft collar with an elasticated drawcord on it at the moment, I had considered losing it but now I'll do my best to keep it on. If I have to shorten it at all it won't be the most difficult thing to sort out.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Cracking. The bag has a draft collar with an elasticated drawcord on it at the moment, I had considered losing it but now I'll do my best to keep it on. If I have to shorten it at all it won't be the most difficult thing to sort out.

Ideal, sounds like a great donor bag. Ive been toying with converting my western mountaineering kodiak to a TQ but cant quite bring myself to do it lol

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Its my 'second' bag, a few years old now but too good to bin altogether. Might pick up a couple of hundred grams of down to pump it up a bit too.

If im honest I've got enough bags, with a classic 1000, a dreamcatcher 500 and a cumulus ultralight bag which is up for sale at the mo. I can't sleep in them all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE