down bags repair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I have a very old blacks norseland sleeping bag. it's very light and warm dispite that fact that that it's lost a lot of the down. is there anything that i can dowith it other then just use it till it losses too much filling. it's got no zip so nothing else that can go wrong.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Andy try asking if blacks offer a repair service - might even do it for free you never know!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
it hasn't had much use in that time. my dad did backpacking when he were a lad then met my mum and it all stopped. I cant afford a new one. its not really leaking that much.

leon-1

Hi guys, Neil1 might be able to help with a company name. I can remember him telling me of a place that will re-fill an old down bag as well as clean it, I also beleive that he metioned that they sometimes actually used the old down to fill new bags that they make to order, sorry the name eludes me, but as I said earlier try Neil1 he may well remember.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
i have a icelandic as well but that is well past it. so I was hoping if they did refill the bag they could use that and bring the cost down a bit. the thing i was wondering was if the material would still be ok or if it would have degraded even though it hasn't been used

leon-1

I would have thought that as long as the bag has been stored properly then the material (if it hasn't had much wear) should be fine.

How was the bag stored? Was it in a stuff sack or was it loose so that the bag could breath? Has it been kept dry and away from damp?

leon-1

I am not a hundred percent on this, but I think it is generally a rule of thumb or just good practice to do it. With a down bag yes most certainly do it.

Here you go I just found this on Google:

Storing Your Sleeping Bag:
This is one part of sleeping bag care that can definitely affect bag performance. Synthetic bags keep their loft longer when properly stored. Your goal is to store the bag in as “relaxed” a state as possible. Stuff sacks are only meant to keep the bag manageable and dry during trips. They are not meant for permanent bag storage. One of the best ways to store sleeping bags is in breathable storage sacks specifically designed for that purpose. These storage sacks keep the bags clean and allow the insulation to expand and maintain its lofting ability. Sleeping bags can also be stored loosely folded on a shelf in a cabinet or a closet, or they can be hung upside down by the seam loops (provided on most models). Your sleeping bag should not be stored near heat sources or in overly warm areas such as an automobile (especially during hot weather). Overly hot conditions can harm the loft in synthetic bags by altering the lay of the fibers. Your bag should be kept dry, non-compressed, as clean as possible and safe from excessive heat.

I hope this is of use.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
For storing a down bag, if you don't have wardrobe space to hang it, just throw it loosely into a spare duvet cover to keep the dust off, knot the end and chuck in the airing cupboard to keep well away from damp.

BTW- Rab certainly offered a refilling service for down bags at one time - it was also an accepted way to upgrade - they'd push another couple of hundred grams into a bag if you found it too cold.

Cheers

leon-1

Right I have tried getting in touch with Rab, for some reason thier website appears to be down currently, but you could try getting one of the climbing mags, OTE ( On The Edge ), TGO (The Great Outdoors) or a publication By the British Mountaineering Council and have a look at the classifieds in the back.

Andy it says you are @Sheffield The BMC recommend a place called Franklins in Sheffield for cleaning down sleeping bags, it may be worth looking them up and seeing if they may do a re-fill for you.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Glad to see I'm not the only one with an old Icelandic - mine's 30 years old and still in use indoors or in the spring/autumn. It's mostly been kept loosely folded in the airing cupboard for the last few years and seems OK. With a cotton liner it's really cosy to sleep in and I'd quite like to beef up the filling to use it for more of the year.

Point of all this is if anyone does find a firm that refills down bags - at a reasonable cost - pls post in on here.

Also, support the comments on the military sleeping bags. You'd be lucky to find a good '58 bag nowadays. The newer ones are warm but very bulky. Never seen the ones with the "burst out" zips - but I wish they'd issued them when I slept in '58s with my boots on and cuddled up to my SLR! :lol:

Ted W

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE