Double bit axe handles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Have recently bought myself a nice Double bit axe head. True Temper flint edge 3.5lb.

I'm struggling to find a good source of handles in the UK though, no where seems to do them much.

Does anyone know of a good place to get these in the UK? Or failing that, are there any clever people on here who could give me a price estimate to get one made up?

Cheers!

Chris.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ames-36in-Double-Bit-Replacement-Handle-2036800-/191070891458

Believe that's the one... (company full name is Ames True Temper) though in US.

That would be ideal, but I'd rather not import it in from America if I can help it. Cheers though!

Could you not make a pick axe handle fit?

I've thought about it, and I've found a pick handle that would fit. But I think that with the amount of wood I'd have to remove, it would end up looking pretty awful. I'd have to completely reshape a lot of it.

Just a thought gransfors bruks make double bit axes, they may be able to supply the helve.

Do you know anywhere that stocks them? I've found a fair few sources of the throwing handles, but not the working handles.

Still considering having one made up if there are any makers on here that could do it.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
Axe handles are usually Hickory. Pick axe & sledge hammer shafts are usually Beech which is what we used for axes before going to the colonies and finding the superior Hickory.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A replacement GB handle may or may not fit. You need to measure both the length and width of the eye and check before ordering - my GB working axe has a narrow eye compared to some of my other double bits.

Can't see any on their website. Looks like they don't stock any replacement handles for anything so not sure if they would do it.

woodsmith experience says they stock 'most' GB handles.

http://woodsmithexperience.co.uk/shop/category/axe-spares

I'll give them a call, cheers!

A replacement GB handle may or may not fit. You need to measure both the length and width of the eye and check before ordering - my GB working axe has a narrow eye compared to some of my other double bits.

Thanks for that, will ask Woodsmith experience what size the handles are and see if it'll fit or not.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I agree about Ash being wood of choice and should have expanded my comment to include it, however I trawled fleabay before submitting my comments & found only Beech or "hardwood" specified. Last time I needed a mattock handle all I could find locally was Beech.

Last edited:
Phone Barnitts - they have tons more stuff in store than on the website. I got two axe handles from them.

Ah OK, I'll give them a ring soon then. Thanks for that!

Ive put a modded pickaxe handle on mine. Looks OK but Ive not flailed it in anger yet...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I was thinking of it, but I can't imagine it looking as good as a handle designed for it. Don't suppose you have any pictures of yours do you?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE