Does anybody recognize this tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
Great thanks torjusg,can it be tapped then? Feel a bit guilty about cutting it down,but it is a sunblocker.Am i doing the right thing?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I don't think this specie is very tappable, but I have no experience with tapping maple trees. I have little experience with it at all. This tree seems quite abused, so I would have cut it. It seems like there are some good ladles in some of those bends. :)

Torjus Gaaren

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Is all that shiny stuff the sap running from wounds? What are the leaf shapes like?

Looks like it has sap to spare.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
I'll put on my proffesional hat here.

It looks like a badly pruned sycamore, in need of re-pollarding.

Don't automatically fell it or wade in and hack it back, you need to check with your local council planning section, and ask whether your address is in a 'conservation area' or whether the tree is covered by a preservation order [TPO], or if there are any planning conditions.

remember felling a tree that is subject to either conservation area or TPO restrictions without first gaining permission from the local planning authority is a criminal offence..... even a specimen as butchered as that!

If all is well, then get hold of a decent tree surgeon who can re shape the tree so you end up with something that wont shade out the whole garden, but will provide dappled shade when you most want it. Dont forget also that trees take time and a decent sized tree would cost upward of £2K to provide and plant, and that trees will increase tha value of the house, let alone the work they do in cleaning the air you breathe and give you all those positive ions. Cut it and you'll miss it.

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
Please Ron put your proffesional hat on here .Thanks, im onto the council first thing.Will let you know what they and the missus say :rolleyes:

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
Hi

I have to agree with Don Redondo,

Not cause I have great knowledge, but, the buds, are twig are a dead give away that its sycamore, also the bark is that of a youngish sycamore.

My only advice if you do keep it, is to also plant eucalyptus(sp) which will help reduce the amount of midges/ knats that are there, as the eucalyptus is a natural insect repellent. Also if you get the right species, your able to polish the bark to give a really attractive shiny trunk.

If you cut it, plant at least another 3 dwarf species to retain the air quality around you.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Soloboy, did you see it in summer /autumn?
Sycamore leaves are pointy leaves like maple(look on the canadian flag) but the "fingers" are a bit stubbier, also sycamore seeds are helicoptor type, two seeds together with wings on.

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
Gutted, cant believe I have not got any digi pictures of tree in full bloom,it does rain small helicopters though.I can improvise Goose and get a dead leaf,if thats any help

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
BorderReiver said:
Small point,isn't it a tad close to the house? I'm thinking structural damage here from the roots. :confused:

unless you live in an area of shrikable clay soil, or you're house is totally crap, subsidence is'nt much of a problem in NW England and Wales, don't believe what you read in the paper, call in an arborist [not a structural engineer :)]

NickC

Jan 24, 2004
Reading, Berkshire
Yes it is a badly pruned :( Sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus). You can tell by he lime green buds. Dont waste your time collecting sap it as its not the same thing as the Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum). Get professional advise.

Don Redondo said:
call in an arborist

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE