Do i need to take knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 22, 2010
uk
I'm going camping for the weekend with my mate, maybe in the new forest. It might a dumb question, but do i need to take a knife?

I've only camped at festivals but i've seen everything Ray Mears has done and he's always using them, but if i have a lighter why do i need a knife?

Ta' very much.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Welcome to the forum first of all :)

As for taking a knife, they're always useful. String needs to be cut, food prepped etc etc. What you need to think about is what you're planning to use it for. If it's just the couple of examples I mentioned then all you need is something like an opinel will be sufficient. If you're planning heavier work like battoning, carving etc then think about something like a mora clipper.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi mad_villain - welcome to the forum

I suppose it depends on whether you're going to do anything that might need a knife.

If you're turning up with a tent and using a gas or petrol stove to cook your meals on then probably not mate.

Don't see how you can manage without one, just chuck a small penknife in the bag, its there if you want it.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Knife, totally essential to outdoor stuff like camping.
I would take a multi tool if you have one.

Edit. Looking back at the original post, it seems you only intended to take a knife to start a fire?
It's probably the last thing you would need a knife for under normal circumstances. Knives are primarily cutting tools, not fire lighters. As you quite rightly said, use your lighter to start a fire.
Why mess with fire-steels etc, when you really don't have to, unless you wish just to practice the technique of course..
Think more towards what you may need to cut with a knife, then you may find reason to take one.

Just trying to redirect your mindset on this one

Last edited:

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Always take a knife of some sort - I always take my Swiss Army Knife in my pocket - even when just taking the dog for a walk as the scissors is suefull for cutting brambles out of her curly Golden Retriever fur.

But I try to avoid taking "illegal" fixed blade and locking knives with me ----- you can do a lot with a penkife and I do not want to have to explain to Plod why I am carrying an "offensive weapon".

I don't do any carving and so I don't really need anything larger than a penknife for one or two nighters.

But if I'm going into wooded areas for longer than that I take a mori knife and a Laplander Saw. I reckon that three nights in the woods is a good enough reason to carry them if challenged by Plod.

Although I must admit that I've never been asked about knives even though I have been stopped by Plod for "being in the park at night" when walking to the woods for a night out.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
There's hardly a day goes by I don't use a pocketknife for something in my everyday life. It's completely foreign to me not having at least one to hand.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm similar to Matt.S, I use a knife pretty much every day.
If you think you might need one just make do with a Swiss Army Knife to start with.
Once you know you need one, then decide what you need it for and go from there.

R.B.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I just can't conceive of not having at least one of my saks in a pocket on a daily basis.:eek:

As said better to have a knife than be wanting for one.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I do think it is up to you and what you are intending to do. I personally carry a knife. Usually I have a victorinix Cyber-tool and an opinel. TBH I don't use them when wildcamping 50% of the time I'm out. That is as much to do with my style of camping. I carry as little as I need and am mainly walking with a night camping. I pitch cook my food, eat it and then turn in for the night. My food is dehydrated meals and I only ever boil water in my pots for the meals and a brew. It is a minimal style of camping as I am mainly about getting out and about. The reason why I describe this style of activity is that I can see no real NEED for a knife. Although as I said I carry a knife anyway out of habit. I should follow wha I have preached to others really about putting gear in three piles according to what must be taken (FAK etc.), those that got used and those that did not get used. With the last pile getting left next time. Doing this I think I would leave my knives behind.

I have made a compromise recently by buying a £20 (paid £10) whitb locking knife, a tiny one a bit like that really small geber one with a blade 1.25" long and weighing next to nothing. That will go in my bag and the heavy cyber tool and the quite light opinel will get left behind instead. I think I could use this tiny knife for anything I have used the other knives for in the past.

I do think there is a degree of feeling more prepared with a knife irrespective of whether you really need the knife. You don't always need or use one so you don't always need to carry one. Your choice based on your judgement. And if you don't take it and you could use one then you are stuck but it won't be a disaster in this country.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
This is turning from a camping question into a knife discussion......

If the OP is asking whether a knife is a good idea, rather than advice on what knife to buy, then I'm going to put out and assume a somewhat vague awareness of knife types and usage.

A 'classic' Victorinox Swiss Army Knife (91mm handle size) will have a non-locking blade of less than 3" length, and so is completely UK carry legal, without any further explanation, if carried in an everyday situation.

There are enough models to choose one with just the right amount of tools for your activities, and they are affordable.

I have owned and carried all manner of folding knives, generally Spyderco, but these days, I will always have as a minimum, a Swiss Army Knife, as it's so much easier to carry without awkward questions...... Everyone knows Swiss Army Knives !

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
the way I see it, what happens if sh!t hits the fan?

you would want to be able to cut yourself some woods for various things. Splint or shelter etc.

I like to play with knives. I make a spoon once a month in my back yard, just practicing techniques and getting used to the tool.

Chuck a small fixed scandi (3.5-4inch) in your bag, at the bottom where you won't even notice it until you need it.

Also its not enough to watch Ray Mears. IMO if you intend camping (the way I want to) you need to know all the tricks, and practice them. You said you camp at festivals, which is an entirely different animal, so taking a knife isn't as necessary. I'd bet someone else there would have one if you need one.

buy a legal SAK and carry it everywhere. You'll be amazed at how quickly you feel naked without it

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
I never leave the house without a knife - and I needed it very often in the past - so I cant think to go anywhere without one.

Do you have any fears to take a knife out in the woods?

you dont need a big expensive campingknife at all - a small and cheap knife (like a SAK, or an Opinel even a Mora) would do the job easily.
food prep is just one thing, but if you wanna carve or splitting wood for fire, cut rope etc. you need a knife!
And even in the case you dont need it this time - the day will come when you need one and than you might have one in your pack!

In my opinion a knife isn´t a a weapon a knife is a tool and as Ray Mears said in one of his videos: It´s always better to have or make a tool for any job than manage it without one!

cheers
Mike

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I'm going camping for the weekend with my mate, maybe in the new forest.

Agreed with the above. Unless you're on a scout site, pretty much all the camping in the Forest is going to count as a public place, so make sure it's a legal carry such as a SAK, otherwise you'll end up in a heap of trouble. Oh, and remember you can't camp anywhere but a legal campsite...

It really depends on what you plan to do during your camping trip. If you are planning on having a spoon and cup carving trip then take a knife. If you are planning on cooking some half descent food, then take a knife.

I like knives as a tool and have a few from loved ones - but I have only ever used them as a conscious choice and could quite easily make do without one in all my trips out; both wild camping and shooting.

The most common use I have for them is food prep, but if you have ready meals/rat packs/noodles/etc you can manage without (a good pair of kitchen scissors are far more usefull but I think that counts as blasphemy in the world of bushcraft).

Emergency shelter bulilding, survival etc can all be managed for a few days without a sharp, which is enough time to find help/be found in the UK.

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Hi There
I always take a kukri with me, the kuk does all the heavy work, chopping hammering, making shelters etc and the karda in the back of it does the same work as a normal fixed blade, shaving wood, making feathersticks,cutting up the food, all the usual stuff.

I don't see how you can go shooting without a knife Satyr

I shoot everything from rabbit to deer and I need a knife to gut the rabbits and gralloch the deer, its essential to get the intestinal contents out of these animals as soon as possible to prevent cross contamination and to let the carcass cool. Also its makes the carcass lighter for retrieval

Shooting is the last place I would be without a knife. I don't understand how anyone can go without one :dunno:

ATB

Hi Poddle,

My shooting trips these days consist of stalking practice and something for the pot only. The only things I actually take a shot at are squirrels, rabbits and woodies (though most of the time I just stalk to a point where I can take a shot and only pull the trigger if I plan on cooking that day). I do this at a 10 minute walk from my house, so I don't need to worry about gutting beacause I can go back as soon as I make the kill and weight is not an issue.

Please don't missunderstand me - I do own and carry knives when out, but I can comfortably make do without (and often do when I forget them ;)). It all depends on what you plan to do and what you really need to do it. I think that sometimes people can get "caught up in the moment" when they do any outdoor activities and instantly think they must emulate RM, BG or similar. Not all camping activities require a knife especially here in the UK. :)

(Now I only wish that I can work out the smiley things to not come accross as a smug g*t.....)

ATB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE