diy biodiesel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
does anyone make there own bio diesel? i've been reading up on it and the theory looks a little more complicated than the practice.
i've trying to warrant me getting a 4x4 but i don't want to lose my car and fueling 2 vehicles isn't really an option

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
big_daddy_merc said:
does anyone make there own bio diesel? i've been reading up on it and the theory looks a little more complicated than the practice.
i've trying to warrant me getting a 4x4 but i don't want to lose my car and fueling 2 vehicles isn't really an option

Nope - but it is on 'its not easy being green' tonight on BBC2 at 20.30 I beleive ;)

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
Big John said:
You can only drive one at a time so it shouldn't make much difference! :drive:
i was going to drive the 4x4 90% of the time and drive the car 10%, i do quite a few miles in a week so i though it would be better using bio diesel over petrol, plus i may only use the 4x4 over winter and dry store the car

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
During the summer if you run on a mix of 50/50 pump fuel and rapeseed oil you should not experience any difference in performance .You wont save a fortune but it all adds up
However you must inform the inland revenue of any such venture ;) Oh and your motor will smell like the chippy :eek:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I use Biodiesel from a licensed source in a 2.0 HDI Peugeot.

It DOES affect the performance, and the engine warning light comes on if I use more than two consecutive tanks.

I've heard it's a lot better in Landies, and at 26p a litre cheaper, it's worth a go.

Doesn't smell like a chippy, more like my old dogs back end! :eek:

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
I imported a biodiesel processor from america. The ones on offer here were too expensive. I have been making now for almost 3 years and run a variety of vehicles trouble free. BEWARE Poor quality fuel in common rail engines as the fuel management systems are very sensitive, and straight veg oil cut with mineral diesel can clog injector pumps. The more i learn about bio diesel and alternative fuels generally the more i realise how little i know !! Everyone i talk to seems to be an expert, yet few are actually making or using.....

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
I have never used waste veg oil due to the processing effort involved and to run on it purely would require modification (in my case).

I believe that waste cooking oil will not be always readily available to everyone for too long. The more popular it gets then sources will get less and there surely will not be enough to go around, or more likely is that large commercial enterprises will buy the waste oil for retail in ready made bio fuel as they have started doing.

During the summer months I have run my landrover 300tdi on a 50:50 ratio of new veg oil (tesco's cheapest) and diesel without any noticeable decrease in performance nor the need for modification.
It is recommended the inline fuel filter is renewed after the first 800miles as the veg oil by nature de-gunks the fuel lines of diesel deposits. In the colder months we dropped the veg oil down to around 10% as a matter of caution as fuel injection pumps are ££££

I quite like the smell of the veg exhaust, its very like BBQ smell and is not unpleasant at all.

My neighbour runs SVO (straight veg oil) in his landrover. To be able to do so all year around requires modifications such as a pre heater on the fuel line and a second small fuel tank containing diesel.
The idea is to switch over to diesel at the end of a day so that in the morning the fuel lines contain normal diesel rather than the cold, thick veg oil which the engine is hardly like to start on, and can damage pumps. Once running, the pre-heater warms the veg oil fuel line, and the fuel can be switched over to pure veg.

oh yeah keep receipts, fill out forms and pay the duty each month too.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
...'its not easy being green'...

Being a little bit of a troll here, so please ignore in the discussion. Just had to comment on that. I don't need to see a TV show on this to make a statement. The reason that is not easy is that, it is no longer possible with the current population and especially with the current rate of consumption. It wouldn't be very green either, considering the land usage. Whether fossile fuels are more or less green than biofuels would be a question open for debate I think.

Desert world or Polluted world...:bluThinki

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hmm, 'tis a subject that occasionally grabs my attention. Yes, I think its a good idea to reuse old cooking oil to make a vehicle fuel but I keep coming to similar conclusions. Once every chippy/burger joint/whatever is having its old oil processed into fuel, what then? As has been mentioned on some radio chat shows recently, crops get to be grown specifically for sale as fuel which in turn hikes the price of the foodstuffs that the crop originally went to satisfy - before too long everybody is paying more for everything, because of the taxation associated with fuel.
There was a scam not so long ago where folk were buying huge ammounts of cooking oil and running their cars on it without any modification, there are also people who blend anything from cooking oil (whether used or not) to farm/marine/central heating fuel.
I really think that it comes down to - if you want to get a few more miles to your pound, get a more economical vehicle or be prepared to travel more wisely - though sticking to this maxim is very difficult indeed when you are used to the convenience of speed and comfort that we all know today.
Incidently, at the Smallholders Show yesterday at Builth Wells, a company were selling Bio-diesel at £1 per litre, now I know that pump prices are only just below that, but unless I become a tree-hugger, that strikes me as expensive, when they have recovered their base comodity as a "waste" product.

I have a much wider view on this subject but it'll turn into a rant so I'm stopping right here.

Ogri the trog

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
Hmm, 'tis a subject that occasionally grabs my attention. Yes, I think its a good idea to reuse old cooking oil to make a vehicle fuel but I keep coming to similar conclusions. Once every chippy/burger joint/whatever is having its old oil processed into fuel, what then? As has been mentioned on some radio chat shows recently, crops get to be grown specifically for sale as fuel which in turn hikes the price of the foodstuffs that the crop originally went to satisfy - before too long everybody is paying more for everything, because of the taxation associated with fuel.
There was a scam not so long ago where folk were buying huge ammounts of cooking oil and running their cars on it without any modification, there are also people who blend anything from cooking oil (whether used or not) to farm/marine/central heating fuel.
I really think that it comes down to - if you want to get a few more miles to your pound, get a more economical vehicle or be prepared to travel more wisely - though sticking to this maxim is very difficult indeed when you are used to the convenience of speed and comfort that we all know today.
Incidently, at the Smallholders Show yesterday at Builth Wells, a company were selling Bio-diesel at £1 per litre, now I know that pump prices are only just below that, but unless I become a tree-hugger, that strikes me as expensive, when they have recovered their base comodity as a "waste" product.

I have a much wider view on this subject but it'll turn into a rant so I'm stopping right here.

Ogri the trog

As a very small scale producer supplying only my own needs can i say, Production costs for me are a minimum of 65p a litre. Not inc my time or capital set up return. I dont make bio cos is cheaper i do it cos it makes me feel better.. rightly or wrongly.. It is a hassle to produce and overall on a small scale wont save you money. A local producer is making bio with new oil , which for me defeats the object until i am satisfied that this is a more sustainable option. Waste oil costs for me have more than doubled in 2 years due to demand. As always nothing is a simple as it first appears.SVO etc can.. But as ive said before. Beware. I have met more than one who has damaged vehicles.!! If i had a pound for every bit of conflicting advice i got when starting out i would be a much more financially viable person than i currently am !

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I used to use a mix of 50-50 in my shogun 20its of diesel and 20 veg oil ran like a dream I also read that when Rodolph Diesel invented the diesel engine it was meant to run on peanut oil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE