Ditch the tent, get closer to bshcrft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
I'm desperate to ditch my tent and use the tarp & bivy method (when I have some spare dosh), but even then I don't really know what I'm looking for. I want to be able to get out there, even in the winter months, so a quality bivy and bag will be required... even as I type I'm seeing so much more I don't understand. Bivy bags, for instance? Do these come complete with sleeping mat and bag, or do those have to be bought seperatley? What sort of price am I looking at for a full set-up - tarp, bivy, mat and bag? Also, the bivy must enclose me completely because - don't laugh - I don't fancy bugs and other hairy things crawling up my nostril when I'm asleep.

Seriously, any advice on the type of bivys out there, including price etc would be much appreciated. I suppose what I'm asking for is a basic BshCrft shopping list - working to a budget of..., erm, not very much.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Jud,
On a budget your probably best off with ex-forces kit. Not the lightest or packing the smallest admittedly, but tough, functional and warm.
British kit is very good but to be honest most of the NATO countries kit is on simular lines these days just depends on your personal preference and what you can get hold of.
E-bay is good for surplus gear as might be your local surplus shop, or check out local car boot sales / charity shops especially if live near military communities. You ll be suprised what turns up.
How much roughly? (British Forces) Tarp £30, Roll mat £10, Bivi-bag £30 Four season slug £30. £100 all in all is quite a bit but thats probably the top end price so shop around. Worth it though as you ll get a lot of years use out of it. From a good car boot sale you might get this lot for £20 though it might take a year or two to find it all!
Cheap civilian camping gear is often poorly made and I think false economy.
Ed

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I use a standard MOD issue gortex bivy bag and winter sleeping bag. The bivi bags can be picked up from between 20 and 40 squid. The sleeping bags are around the same kind of money depending on condition. If your floor dwelling you will also need a ground mat. The ground mat goes in your bivi bag but outside of your sleeping bag.
If you want to get out bivying then you will need to keep a small vent hole in your bivi bag whilst sleeping or condensation will build up and you will get your bag damp and this will make you colder.
If you cant stand the thought of the bugs then you can get a kind of one man tent from snug pack but it kinda goes against what your trying to achieve.

These prices and guides are based on ex mob kit but if you want you can pay anything for this stuff.

Start with a cheap tarp, ex mob gortex bivi, good sleeping bag and a roll mat, get out there and just try it.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you want a good tarp that doesn't cost the earth then maybe try the Decathalon Tarp. For £19.95 it's good value and is actually well made.

Also, don't forget if you haven't got as knife you can't go too far wrong with getting yourself a Mora Clipper and you can pick them up for under a tenner at most sites.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You could buy a cheap tarp to get you started, (than said I've been using one since 2005)

Ebay item 350119072783 £8.70 deliverd

and a four season modular sleep system including a new gortex bivvi bag for £90 delivered which will keep you toasty anywhere in the UK and beyond

eBay item 220303731838

just less than one hundred quid, but solid kit

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
All I can do is echo what others have already said.
Shop around and have a look in your local army surplus shop.
To be honest, I don't actually have a bivvy bag. Always keep meaning to get one...but...I've never had one and never missed one. Just feel like I have to get one. If I was to get one it'd be an ex-army one because they are cheap, available and olive drab (I don't like sticking out). But I haven't got one and probably never will.
Here's what I use:
Sleeping mat - get one of the nice thick army surplus ones. MUCH better than the civilain ones in Millets et al. And only cost £10.
I use...wait for it...an inflatable mattress! Yup. Bloody comfy it is too. I got a hikers mattress in Blacks. It also costs £10. I put this on the sleeping mat to stop it puncturing. And it never has yet - and I've been using this combo for nigh-on ten years. A hikers mattress is different from a normal inflatable mattress in that it's a third the size and weight (a bit bigger than a bog roll) and takes just a minute or two to blow up. It looks a bit like a beach lilo (which a friend of mine uses!) - in that it's a series of individually inflated tubes. I tried to use a self-inflating mattress but absolutely hate them - they're expensive, much heavier and too thin.
And then comes the sleeping bag. This is probably where you don't want to scrimp. In my view. I really don't know where and how much mine cost. Have a look at the Highlander range. Get a 3 season bag as well.
Tarp - I got mine in a local surplus shop. Cost £25. I'd say that one suggested by Mesquite is a real bargain. Snap one up now, or put it on your Christmas list!
I use either paracord to suspend the tarp, or tent poles and bungees - all depends on time of year, location and whimsy.
As someone else said - I reckon £100 will do it. Most of that will (SHOULD!) go on the sleeping bag. Again, Christmas is coming - so put it on the pressie list.

Don't know what other kit you need. As recommended, the Forsts Mora Clipper knife (£8.50 on ebay) is a REALLY good option. Billy cans can be either bought or you can use stainless stell utensil pots from Wilkinsons/Morrisons/Woolworths etc - drill a couple of holes either side at the top and use a bit of chain from Homebase to suspend it over the fire. They cost just £3, compared to £15+ for a 'proper' billy.
Do you have a rucksack? If not, or if you need a newer/bigger one, you have two options: military surplus or civilian. Army surplus are cheap, tough and available. But you can look a bit conspicuous when in public. I prefer to avoid that. Millets own-brand sacks(can't remember the name) are a good option, and avoid help avoid looking too dysfunctional when out in public. I recently bought a Highlander Forces 66. It was only £45 and I'm really chuffed with it. Highly recommmended. I got mine in plain green rather than camo - a sort of half-way house between looking either too military or civilian.
Anything else is extra. And you'll only know what else you need when you go out.
Sorry if some of that was patronising/obvious - not sure of the extent of your experience. Have fun.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
That's very much for the replies everyone! Very helpful.

For the record, I have pretty much everything associated with camping (including a nice bshcrft knife on its way), with the exception of tarp and bivy. I just bought a sleeping bag from Army and Navy - not used it yet, but tried it for size on living room floor and discovered it's too small. They don't call them mummy bags for nothing, do they? Why is it that manufactures fail to realise that whilst we want to get out there, Ray Mears style, some of us are actually built like him too!

Anyway, I'm drifting off topic. All I need it a tarp and bivy (I'm already liking the price and look of the Decathlon tarp, Mesquite) so I'll have a look at some of those links and keep my eye on ebay etc.

Thanks again.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
I bought 2 Alpkit bivi bags for me and my son, good bits of kit. In fact I also bought one of their slim Airic self inflating sleeping mats too and very good that is as well.

The bivi bags might not be big enough to have the mat inside it, I've always had the mat on the outside of my bivi bag, perhaps that's just me though. Definatly worth it though, and only £30 new.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE