Dissatisfied with lifeboat matches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Needed to light a candle in the wet yesterday, and so I got out a few of these i got from rat packs.

I could only get one out of five to light, the rest either broke or crumbled.

What is wrong?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They've been bashed and bruised and they fall apart after a bit when you try to strike them.
Once they're out of the ratpack they really ought to be wrapped or boxed.
The other thing that eventually goes for them is damp. The wee plastic sealed cellophane bags crease and seem to allow some damp in. I don't know if they chemically degrade too though.
Sometimes it's worth laying them on top of a used tealight and trying to strike one of them enough to light the others. At least in the tealight holder thingie the crumbs end up potentially useful.
M

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
The pinky ones from rat packs are a waste of time. Like you I've had them break on me fail to light but never had any crumble (yet). Also I find the RP one don't burn long enough of you have even the slightest amount of damp on your tinder or it's windy.

My wife just bought me a couple of tubs of the BCB storm matches, I'll see what they're like when they show up.
CN325.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Mine are brown.

Its not good as they are supposed to be a last ditch thing, yes? A match to light when all other methods fail.

I only used mine as that is all I had on me at the time.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They're not sold as 'survival matches' though, they're just included so that the soldiers can light the wee stoves that heat up their meal.

M

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
^^^^^ That's true. They are included in the rat packs so you can light your hexi stove or now your Fire Dragon stove. Has anyone tried getting a hexi block alight by using a pink match without any other tinder? Hehe it ain't working. I've noticed the BA hexi blocks are harder to ignite than say Esbit blocks.

I thought I give it a try the other week so I got my BA hexi stove and blocks out and use a pack of matches from a rat pack. 5 matches later I resorted a tiny tinder pile and some household matches. I thought it was me faffing up until I saw Funky trying the same thing in one of his videos https://youtu.be/owW3jJMgEss?t=7m20s He was having problems as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE